Dataverse 4.6.1 stable on RHEL/CentOS 6 on VMWare?

Janet McDougall - Australian Data Archive

Mar 23, 2017, 11:20:36 PM3/23/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi All
We are putting in the system install request to our (supercomputing) centre.  They want to know what level of OS to build the VMs (on VMWare) for us.  I can see preference for RHEL/CentOS in the Architecture & Components Guide (http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.5.1/installation/prep.htmlbut not the version we should be going with for Dataverse 4.6.1.

I have trawled though github & find references to RHEL/CentOS 6, so i'm going with this.  But, i'm also presuming there are no problems installing on VMWare?

Thanks
Janet

don sizemore

Mar 24, 2017, 6:13:39 AM3/24/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

We at Odum run our production (4.5, soon to be 4.6.1) and test (4.6.1) Dataverse instances in VMware using RHEL/CentOS 7. You are welcome to run it under RHEL 6 (or even Debian or some other UNIX) as long as your chosen platform will run a supported Postgres <=9.3.

CPU usage will be bursty and only truly heavy during startup, but be sure to give Glassfish plenty of RAM. We gave our Dataverse 64GB total, specifying a 48GB JVM heap, but we typically consume 18-23GB in active memory and Linux holds the rest as cache.

I hope this helps? (and congratulations!)
Donald

painstakingly pecked on my iPhone.

Philip Durbin

Mar 24, 2017, 6:42:38 AM3/24/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Don. To be honest, I'm not sure why http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.6.1/installation/prerequisites.html#postgresql says, "Version 9.x is required." I'm using PostgreSQL 8.4 on various test servers running CentOS 6 and it works fine. That's the version I get from yum. If we're using any features specific to 9.x, I'm not aware of what they are.

My test servers happen to be on VMWare but I'm glad Don weighed in with details about a production environment.

Some day Harvard will upgrade to RHEL/CentOS 7, but I'm not sure when. When we do, I'm sure we'll adjust the Installation Guide to indicate that it's the version we test with.

Phil

p.s. Venki is using CentOS 7 as well. He requested an rApache RPM for it: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/3208

On 23 Mal. 2017, at 23:20, Janet McDougall - Australian Data Archive <janet.m...@anu.edu.au> wrote:

Hi All
We are putting in the system install request to our (supercomputing) centre.  They want to know what level of OS to build the VMs (on VMWare) for us.  I can see preference for RHEL/CentOS in the Architecture & Components Guide (http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.5.1/installation/prep.htmlbut not the version we should be going with for Dataverse 4.6.1.

I have trawled though github & find references to RHEL/CentOS 6, so i'm going with this.  But, i'm also presuming there are no problems installing on VMWare?

Thanks
Janet

Don Sizemore

Mar 24, 2017, 8:32:11 AM3/24/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
"I'm not sure why http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.6.1/installation/prerequisites.html#postgresql says, "Version 9.x is required." I'm using PostgreSQL 8.4 on various test servers running CentOS 6 and it works fine."

This is something I'd love to see addressed maybe not when IQSS moves to RHEL/CentOS 7 but when RHEL 8 solidifies. (Background: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/3125 )

The Dataverse installer works out of the box with PostgresQL-8.4 (in RHEL 6 and Ubuntu 12 LTS) but not with PostgresQL-9.2 (included with RHEL 7, supported until 6/30/2024. Note that RHEL/CentOS 7 also include rh-postgresql95 and rh-postgresql94 via SCL).

At some point, the Postgres project will drop support for 9.2 but Red Hat will continue to backport patches. At some later point, Postgres will drop support for 9.3 entirely - no more security fixes. It would be great for Dataverse to explicitly support versions of Postgres which will receive long-term support through a distribution provider, particularly Red Hat / CentOS.

Raman wants Postgres >=9.4 and I volunteer to test this here, but I don't want to conflict with or confound any work on the installer?

Don

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 6:42 AM, Philip Durbin <philip...@harvard.edu> wrote:
[...]

Mar 26, 2017, 10:37:32 PM3/26/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi all
Thanks a lot for the responses. I will forward prod info to our IT mob. I'm on my iPad from out bush and find it painstaking too unless I'm doing frivolous stuff...

Will take note of Postgres versions too, I've not had much to do with it but obviously now v interested.
Janet

Philip Durbin

Mar 26, 2017, 10:54:37 PM3/26/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Cool. For what it's worth, Don and talked this out on Friday and concluded* that the version of postgres that comes with both version 6 and 7 of RHEL/CentOS seems to work fine.

Phil

Janet McDougall - Australian Data Archive

Mar 26, 2017, 10:57:01 PM3/26/17
to Dataverse Users Community
For dataverse 4.6.1, is it correct to say we should ask for
- PostgreSQL 8.4 to start?
- RHEL/CentOS 6

To avoid extra dramas?

Prev comment from

Janet McDougall - Australian Data Archive

Mar 26, 2017, 11:02:51 PM3/26/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Phil & Don
I must've been posting same time as you. Would you suggest we go with RHEL/CentOS 6 or 7 to start with? The vsn which will be most standard would be my preference, but doesn't need to be upgraded soon after.

As in, will RHEL/CentOS 6 be stable for the next 12 mths or so, or should we consider going to 7 now?
Th aks

Janet McDougall - Australian Data Archive

Mar 27, 2017, 3:57:32 AM3/27/17
to Dataverse Users Community
I should have said will RHEL/centos 6 be suitable OS for dataverse ongoing for some time? Etc... thx

Don Sizemore

Mar 27, 2017, 8:57:18 AM3/27/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

RHEL/CentOS 6 will receive security and bugfix support through Nov. 2020:
https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata#Life_Cycle_Dates
and should be fine.

RHEL/CentOS 7 runs on the 3.10 kernel and should in general perform better.
Odum has run Dataverse on 6 and 7 in production without incident at the OS level.

I stand corrected on Postgres driver versions - as Phil noted, the 4.6 dvinstall.zip works fine with RHEL7's included Postgres-9.2.

I hope this helps?
Donald

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 3:57 AM, Janet McDougall - Australian Data Archive <janet.m...@anu.edu.au> wrote:
I should have said will RHEL/centos  6 be suitable OS for dataverse ongoing for some time? Etc... thx

Janet McDougall - Australian Data Archive

Mar 27, 2017, 5:18:43 PM3/27/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Donald, that's great, thanks a lot for helping us make these decisions. We will stay with my initial request to the computer centre of RHEL/CentOS 6 now I'm comfortable with it's stability with dataverse for the next year or so, and when we're more stable we can upgrade to 7. Hopefully they're building our VMs now!

It's kind of like posting a letter in the old days, waiting overnight in anticipation for a reply...
Thanks again
Janet

Bikramjit Singh

Apr 5, 2017, 3:12:03 PM4/5/17
to Dataverse Users Community
We at Scholars Portal successfully running Custom version of Dataverse 4.6.1 (Migrated from 3.2 to 4.2 and frequent upgrades after) on All Centos 7.3 VM's with Postgres 9.5 & Solr on separate machines than 2 Glassfish instances.  Never had any problem with Centos 7, https://dataverse.scholarsportal.info

Regards,
Bikramjit Singh
OCUL Scholars Portal

Philip Durbin

Apr 5, 2017, 4:35:12 PM4/5/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Awesome. Thanks for letting us know. We're still using CentOS 6 for the servers we test on but some day we should move to CentOS 7. I wonder how long the community would expect us to support CentOS/RHEL 6 once we upgrade to 7.

Phil

Janet McDougall - Australian Data Archive

Apr 19, 2017, 3:07:27 AM4/19/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Bikramjit
Thanks for the info below.  We've started on CentOS 6.9.
Janet