Dataverse Community Call Tomorrow 8/29

danny...@g.harvard.edu

Aug 28, 2017, 4:55:34 PM8/28/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi all,

Please join us for the Dataverse Community Call tomorrow (8/29) at Noon EDT! Details:

Thanks!

Philip Durbin

Aug 30, 2017, 9:33:32 AM8/30/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for calling in, Courtney. Here are the notes I took during yesterday's call at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GD6eXEpdKQPBkZby_xKmPop5Q9mOuX5ksjQmVKEwhho/edit?usp=sharing

Phil

2017-08-29 Dataverse Community Call

Agenda

* Community Development Efforts
* Community Topics

Attendees

* Danny Brooke (IQSS)
* Phil Durbin (IQSS)
* Chris Perry (IQSS)
* Pete Meyer (HMS)
* Courtney Mumma (TDL)

Notes

* Community Development Efforts
   * Pinned topic "Which GitHub issues are being worked on by the Dataverse community?" on Google Group: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/dataverse-community/X2diSWYll0w/ikp1TGcfBgAJ
   * "Dev Efforts by the Dataverse Community" spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pl9U0_CtWQ3oz6ZllvSHeyB0EG1M_vZEC_aZ7hREnhE/edit?usp=sharing
   * Amber from Scholars Portal now has write access to the spreadsheet. Others are welcome to request write access as well.
* Community Topics
   * (Danny) Department of Transportation thread - "US Department of Transportation - Data Repositories Conformant with the DOT Public Access Plan": https://groups.google.com/d/msg/dataverse-community/nImLPepZMvs/nk_p-yR9CAAJ
      *  (Danny) I'll send you Jon's message
   * (Courtney) Testing 4.7.1 with Ryan's team. Will pass along feedback. 9 data liaisons.
   * (Danny) We've merged most of the S3 work for the next release. We're still looking at a performance issue. This is slated for 4.8.
   * (Courtney) Question from Nick about deleting files in a deaccessioned dataset.
      * (Phil) You can use the "destroy" API endpoint with a superuser API token to destroy test data. It isn't documented but here's the code we use in our test suite: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/blob/v4.7.1/src/test/java/edu/harvard/iq/dataverse/api/UtilIT.java#L551
      * (Phil) There's a related issue: Guides: Add information on deleting datasets, dataverses and destroy command - https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/2593
   * (Pete) How many users at TDL self-publish vs using the "submit for review" feature.
      * (Courtney) It's up to each of the institutions we host for.
   * (Danny) Is running a fork still necessary for TDL?
      * (Courtney) We just started testing 4.7.1.

Erin MacPherson

Aug 30, 2017, 12:45:22 PM8/30/17
to Dataverse Users Community, philip...@harvard.edu
Hi Phil,
I wanted to ask a related question - the "destroy" API can be used in published datasets on other than "test" data correct? Is this what you would recommend in the occasional case where someone has published sensitive or confidential data and it needs to be removed? Or do you just recommend deaccessioning?  I believe it was mentioned in June at the meeting that we can technically delete it if no one has already downloaded it - otherwise we would de-accession. I just need to clarify the wording for our Terms.
Thank you,
Erin