Is there a Customized Version of User Guides?

Sherry Lake

Nov 5, 2015, 11:09:51 AM11/5/15
to Dataverse Users Community
According to the application configuration settings, there is a "GuidesBaseURL" setting.

Is there an HTML version of the Guides that contains only the User Guide? I would like to have a link to a page that does not contain links to the Installation, API and Developer's Guides. I would then change our GuidesBaseURL setting to point to the User-only URL.

I know I can take the existing pages and create a UserGuide only page, but was hoping there was one out there already.

Thanks.
Sherry Lake,

Philip Durbin

Nov 5, 2015, 11:30:32 AM11/5/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I'm not 100% sure what you're asking for but let me attempt to explain our thinking.

The docs currently say 'Set GuidesBaseUrl to override the default value “http://guides.dataverse.org”.'

The idea is that you would set up a web server to host your custom guides at http://guides.dataverse.example.edu or wherever and you would use that URL as the value for the "GuidesBaseUrl" setting. To create your custom guides, I would suggest using the guides at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/tree/master/doc/sphinx-guides as a starting point, modify them as you see fit, and then create HTML versions using `make html` as described at http://guides.dataverse.org/en/latest/developers/documentation.html

Making and hosting your own guides is sort of a poweruser thing to do but we wanted to support that use case. We *hope* that the guides are adequate for most installations of Dataverse. We are certainly very welcome to pull requests! Please see http://guides.dataverse.org/en/latest/developers/documentation.html for instructions on both making quick fixes and more involved pull requests.

Phil

Sherry Lake

Nov 6, 2015, 9:52:26 AM11/6/15
to Dataverse Users Community, philip...@harvard.edu
Hi Phil,

Your explanation and links to the documentation is what I need right now. The documentation on the default Guides link has documentation on APIs, Development and Installation as well as the User Guide. We only want to present the User Guide to our users; thinking it would be less confusing.

Nothing wrong with the current Guides, but we were also thinking we might want to add sections on Logging on via Shib or other UVa specific guidance. With the link to the source you pointed out on github, we should be able to get that working.

Thanks
Sherry

Philip Durbin