IP groups - workflow

Erin MacPherson

Oct 22, 2019, 9:59:38 AM10/22/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Hello,
I have a question about the workflow for IP groups. I want to select my campus IP range for a dataset so that only people on my campus can see the files. Can I still publish that dataset and have it only visible to my campus if I select the IP group under permissions? Or do I leave it unpublished (and it will only be visible to my campus). Also, is there documentation for this workflow?
Thank you,
Erin

Philip Durbin

Oct 29, 2019, 11:09:47 AM10/29/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Erin,

Sorry for the slow reply.

When it comes to files, the way to prevent them from being downloaded is to change them from public to restricted before you publish the dataset. Here is some documentation on this: http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.17/user/dataset-management.html#file-level

Certainly, you could simply not publish the dataset at all but most people who use Dataverse are interested in the *metadata* (not necessarily the files!) being discoverable via DataCite, Google Dataset Search, and other search engines.

We don't have great documentation on IP Groups (or groups in general) as far as I can tell, but this might help a bit: http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.17/user/dataverse-management.html#assigning-roles-to-users-and-groups

I don't know if this helps at all but IP Groups are similar to Institution-Wide Shibboleth Groups* in the sense that inclusion into the group is determined at run time. In the code we use the term "explicit group" to mean that membership into that group explicitly assigned to individuals (or other groups).

A factoid is that we tried to drop IP Groups support in the rewrite from DVN 3 to Dataverse 4 (we feel that Shibboleth-based groups offer better security) but Scholars Portal really, really wanted us to keep them so we did. So you might want to ask some of them about this feature.

I hope this helps,

Phil