How to upload a zip file without unpacking the files?

ado...@berkeley.edu

Sep 13, 2017, 1:27:22 PM9/13/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi all,

I am trying to replace some .zip files in an existing dataset with updated versions. However, when I try to replace these .zip files with new .zip files, I get an error message that says that I cannot replace one file with many files. However, I don't want dataverse to unzip the files - I want to keep it on dataverse as an archive. Any tips on how to get around this?

Leonhard Maylein

Sep 13, 2017, 1:30:07 PM9/13/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
The only way I found for uploading a zip file to DataVerse 4.x

Double zipped files.
I put the zip file in a new zip file => foo.zip.zip

If there is a better way, please let me know.

Leonhard Maylein
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dataverse-community/4ce54907-a6f4-4a2f-8c0b-1b73dd9766d9%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dataverse-community/4ce54907-a6f4-4a2f-8c0b-1b73dd9766d9%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Philip Durbin

Leonhard Maylein

Sep 13, 2017, 1:33:56 PM9/13/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
That would be great.

Leonhard Maylein

Am 13.09.2017 um 19:32 schrieb Philip Durbin:
> Yes, Leonhard is right. Double zipping is a workaround. (Thanks for the
> quick reply!) We've thought about adding a checkbox in the GUI called
> something like "disable unzipping":
> https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/3439
>
> On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 1:30 PM, Leonhard Maylein
> <May...@ub.uni-heidelberg.de <mailto:May...@ub.uni-heidelberg.de>> wrote:
>
> The only way I found for uploading a zip file to DataVerse 4.x
>
> Double zipped files.
> I put the zip file in a new zip file => foo.zip.zip
>
> If there is a better way, please let me know.
>
> Leonhard Maylein
>

> Am 13.09.2017 um 19:27 schrieb ado...@berkeley.edu
> <mailto:ado...@berkeley.edu>:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to replace some .zip files in an existing dataset
> with updated versions. However, when I try to replace these .zip
> files with new .zip files, I get an error message that says that
> I cannot replace one file with many files. However, I don't want
> dataverse to unzip the files - I want to keep it on dataverse as
> an archive. Any tips on how to get around this?

> it, send an email to
> dataverse-commu...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:dataverse-community%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> <mailto:dataverse-commu...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:dataverse-community%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.
> To post to this group, send email to
> dataverse...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:dataverse...@googlegroups.com>
> <mailto:dataverse...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:dataverse...@googlegroups.com>>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dataverse-community/4ce54907-a6f4-4a2f-8c0b-1b73dd9766d9%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dataverse-community/6dcd3943-2c57-1751-3fcb-3fbb2dddc69b%40ub.uni-heidelberg.de
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dataverse-community/6dcd3943-2c57-1751-3fcb-3fbb2dddc69b%40ub.uni-heidelberg.de>.

> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
>

> --
> Philip Durbin
> Software Developer for http://dataverse.org
> http://www.iq.harvard.edu/people/philip-durbin

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dataverse-community/CABbxx8FGvvSo4CVyxDxz5Mqnnd1CHNqXxj%2BBnrXxWBchOc0H0Q%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dataverse-community/CABbxx8FGvvSo4CVyxDxz5Mqnnd1CHNqXxj%2BBnrXxWBchOc0H0Q%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Sherry Lake

Sep 13, 2017, 4:37:51 PM9/13/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Yes, would love a "keep zips zipped" checkbox.

I haven't tried it, but will zip files stay zipped if uploading via the API?

--
Sherry

On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 1:32:51 PM UTC-4, Philip Durbin wrote:
[...]

Philip Durbin

Sep 13, 2017, 4:43:04 PM9/13/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure how the new native file upload API works but SWORD works the same as the GUI: if you double zip the file, the file will remain zipped.

All are welcome to leave comments on that GitHub issue if the "disable unzipping" checkbox is something you want.