When to do or modify Configuration Settings?

Sherry Lake

Oct 7, 2015, 10:37:55 AM10/7/15
to Dataverse Users Community
Can settings be added or changed after the install program is run?

Settings such as those mentioned here:
http://guides.dataverse.org/en/latest/installation/installation-main.html#settings

Or should all of these settings be included in the setup-all script or an optional setup file, and run at installation?

If they can be changed after installation, can these settings commands be run on the command line or in a script (or both)?

What about adding a customized metadatablocks or changing the existing .tsv files (such as editing the descriptions and watermarks, and possibly the display order, showabovefold)? Can the command for "loading" these be done on the command line after install?

I am sort of assuming that since these configurations are done via API and can be done any time?

Thanks.
Sherry Lake

Philip Durbin

Oct 7, 2015, 11:08:37 AM10/7/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
You should be able to update settings such as ApplicationPrivacyPolicyUrl via API at any time without restarting Glassfish. You could also modify the values directly in the "setting" table if you wish. The API endpoint is just a convenience.

For reproducibility of your installation, I would recommend putting these settings, these calls to the API, in a script like we do at Harvard:

https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/blob/v4.2/scripts/api/setup-optional-harvard.sh

In development I never touch the metadata block tsv files. We have metadata experts for that. :) Can I ask you to start a new thread describing the changes you're proposing?

Some settings related to the metadata blocks can be changed but I'm not sure they're documented. For example https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/blob/v4.2/scripts/api/setup-all.sh contains API calls for setting which metadata blocks appear at a given dataverse as well as which facets should be enabled.

All of this falls under administration done by superusers, so please do fill out the survey mentioned here if you haven't already: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/840#issuecomment-145844868

I hope this helps!

Phil