dataverse usability test tasks

Frank Andreas Sposito

Nov 21, 2017, 3:40:25 AM11/21/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Dataverse community,
Please forgive me if this question has already been asked and answered. I'm with the new Austrian Social Sciences Data Archive (AUSSDA). We have just rolled out Dataverse 4.8 as our primary storage and dissemination platform and our director would like to perform some usability testing on our website (data.aussda.at). Instead of reinventing the wheel we are hoping that a set of Dataverse-specific usability tasks already exist. If so, any chance that someone from the community could post a document or a link for us? We would be very grateful for the help!

PS - This is my first post, but I've been consuming threads here for some time. Thanks to everyone for the vast amount of information and advice that you share! It really helped us a lot during our startup phase.

Philip Durbin

Nov 21, 2017, 6:57:13 AM11/21/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Welcome to the community!

The first usability study that comes to mind is the one at the end of the Texas Digital Library Dataverse Implementation Working Group Final Report at http://hdl.handle.net/2249.1/76364

Also, I don't see your installation of Dataverse on the map at dataverse.org (or any installation in Austria)! If you are interested in being on the map, please email sup...@dataverse.org as described at http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.8.3/installation/config.html#putting-your-dataverse-installation-on-the-map-at-dataverse-org

Thanks!

Phil

Tania Schlatter

Nov 21, 2017, 2:50:18 PM11/21/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Frank,

We have collected some usability test scripts to share. See the Dataverse Community Google Drive folder, "Shared usability test scripts" (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1pgKfCJZ4dhghNZaTytrrnoEHSxoGtfkz?usp=sharing).

The "4.0" script is the most broad in terms of testing general Dataverse functionality. We have been running usability tests for specific pages and features recently. Some of these scripts are for testing prototypes for features that may not exist at this time. Some scripts have links that will not work, as they go to prototypes or our dev environment. Many of the questions are general, and can be repurposed for testing a variety of features. I hope these help get you started. Let us know questions.

Best,

Tania Schlatter
UX & UI Lead, IQSS

On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 3:40 AM, Frank Andreas Sposito <frank....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Dataverse community,
Please forgive me if this question has already been asked and answered. I'm with the new Austrian Social Sciences Data Archive (AUSSDA). We have just rolled out Dataverse 4.8 as our primary storage and dissemination platform and our director would like to perform some usability testing on our website (data.aussda.at). Instead of reinventing the wheel we are hoping that a set of Dataverse-specific usability tasks already exist. If so, any chance that someone from the community could post a document or a link for us? We would be very grateful for the help!

PS - This is my first post, but I've been consuming threads here for some time. Thanks to everyone for the vast amount of information and advice that you share! It really helped us a lot during our startup phase.

Frank Andreas Sposito

Nov 22, 2017, 9:25:43 AM11/22/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Phil,
Thanks very much! The Texas report is very thorough and quite helpful. We're just up and running so we'll probably formally register with Dataverse soon. In case anyone should ever need to reach AUSSDA, feel free to contact me at frank....@univie.ac.at. Thanks again for the help!
Best, Frank

On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 12:57:13 PM UTC+1, Philip Durbin wrote:
[...]

Frank Andreas Sposito

Nov 22, 2017, 9:28:06 AM11/22/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Tania,
This is really perfect! Thanks very much! You've saved us quite a bit of preparatory work. I thnk the 4.0 script is in fact exactly what we need. Thanks again, and please let me know if I can ever return the favor in some way.
Best, Frank

On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 8:50:18 PM UTC+1, Tania Schlatter wrote:
[...]

ofu...@gmail.com

Dec 4, 2017, 8:35:49 AM12/4/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Philip,
What is the difference between grey and orange spots on the map at dataverse.org?

I am somehow little inquisitive :)

Regards
Obi

tirsdag 21. november 2017 12.57.13 UTC+1 skrev Philip Durbin følgende:
[...]

Philip Durbin

Dec 4, 2017, 10:19:21 AM12/4/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Obi,

Thanks for asking! The orange dots are installations of Dataverse around the world. As of this writing there are 27 of them (yay!). The gray dots have to do only with Harvard Dataverse and you aren't the only one who is confused by them. Please check out https://github.com/IQSS/miniverse/issues/65

Thanks,

Phil