Try out Single Sign-On With Shibboleth in 4.0 Beta

Eleni Castro

Oct 9, 2014, 12:52:26 PM10/9/14
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

Greetings Dataverse Community,

Dataverse 4.0 Beta now supports single sign-on using Shibboleth, which allows users to authenticate using the same login credentials that they use for their institution or organization!

To test this out in Dataverse 4.0 Beta, select Log In on the top navigation bar. Once on the Log In page under “Institution Log In”, click on “Please select your institution…” dropdown option and select “TestShib Test IdP” and click on the “Continue” button.

Next, you will be presented with a login page. As of this blog post, you can only log in with three mock accounts (myself, superego, and alterego) provided by the Identity Provider at http://testshib.org but we are very interested in interoperability testing as many Identity Providers as possible!

If the login is successful, you will then be taken to our Dataverse Account Creation Terms of Use page. Please note that these terms are just for testing and demonstration purposes and so are not our actual Dataverse Terms of Use. We are currently working with the Berkman Center to update our Account Creation Terms of Use for 4.0.

If you run a Shibboleth Identity Provider, you can download the the Dataverse demo Service Provider metadata at https://dataverse-demo.iq.harvard.edu/Shibboleth.sso/Metadata and send your Identity Provider metadata to us via sup...@dataverse.org

We would love to be able to have as many institutions able to use Shibboleth when Dataverse 4.0 goes live so please get in touch with us if you are interested!

Shibboleth is an oft-discussed topic in the #dataverse IRC channel on freenode as well!

Reposted from the Data Science Blog: http://datascience.iq.harvard.edu/blog/try-out-single-sign-shibboleth-40-beta