Philipp at UiT

Jul 12, 2017, 3:11:28 AM7/12/17
to Dataverse Users Community
This issue is related to:

It would be useful to be able to specify an embargo for archived files. I guess this would be done when restricting the files. The depositor would add a date for when the restricted file automatically should be unrestricted. Information about what kind of access that is provided should be reflected in the metadata; cf. Access information in metadata complying with OpenAIRE Guidelines.

Until an embargo function is in place, we are considering to use the metadata field Distribution Date (= Date that the work was made for distribution/presentation) for specifying the embargo date. We could then run a daily script to check whether any distribution date matches the current date. If yes, the curator would then unrestrict the files. (Alternatively, we could make the script also run the unrestriction). Does this sound like a feasible solution?

Best,
Philipp

Philip Durbin

Jul 12, 2017, 6:57:13 AM7/12/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Philipp,

Yes, I think your script is a good idea and I think you should consider open sourcing it so other people in the community can try it out. I've often thought that an embargo feature could start out as solution on the side that calls into Dataverse APIs. If we're building the APIs right, we are enabling enough functionality to make scripts like this possible.

I don't have any particular knowledge of if the Distribution Date field is the right one to use or not but it seems like a fine choice for a prototype at least.

Thanks,

Phil

p.s. I'd be fine with closing the embargo issue at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/343 if your script acts as a workaround for now. We could even document your script in the guides, with a note that it's community-supported.

Philipp at UiT

Jul 17, 2017, 7:45:04 AM7/17/17
to Dataverse Users Community, philip...@harvard.edu

Thanks for your answer, Phil, and sorry for my late reply.

We can test the trigger solution. But we would really like this to be a more integrated functionality of Dataverse. It would i.a. help us to provide correct metadata to some important European research infrastructure services; cf. this issue.
I understand you wanted to close the GitHub issue, but is there any chance to implement such an embargo function in Dataverse?

Best,
Philipp

Philip Durbin