Configuring Auto Notification Text

Sherry Lake

Oct 29, 2015, 1:47:55 PM10/29/15
to Dataverse Users Community

Seems that the notifications (on account creation, dataset and/or dataverse creations and others) are "canned" and Harvard Dataverse specific. So for potential non-Harvard Dataverse installations, it would be nice to customize these notifications. I am glad to submit a github request for the following:

This request is the ability to customize the text of the auto notifications for a specific institution.

A few suggestions:
Account creation notification - has sup...@dataverse.org in message. We would like to either be the SystemEmail (which is configurable), or to be able to change the text.

Dataverse & Dataset creation notification - has dataverse (or dataset) user guide link is included (Harvard's). We would like that to either be the GuidesBaseUrl, which can be configured, or to be able to edit the text.

BUT  since all the notification emails have "Thank you, The Dataverse Project". It looks like the best alternative would be to allow the text of the notifications be customized. UNLESS this closing can be configured via a setting.

Philip Durbin

Oct 29, 2015, 2:39:02 PM10/29/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Sherry, what you're saying makes complete sense. Please do create a GitHub issue for this!

Also, I'm not sure you're aware of this (since I don't think we've documented it!) but you can use a "display name" with SystemEmail per https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/2088

Here's the commit where we added that feature:

System email can now have a display name #2088 · IQSS/dataverse@adf0646 - https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/commit/adf06463edfb326cae87cf38e5f648d4167b1872

Phil

Sherry Lake

Oct 29, 2015, 3:01:33 PM10/29/15
to Dataverse Users Community, philip...@harvard.edu
Thanks Phil,

I will create a GitHub issue.

As for the "SystemEmail" setting, yes I found that in an "optional Harvard" setup file in the scripts/api directory. Our notifications are being sent out with the display - "UVa Dataverse Support" and our email.

--
Sherry Lake

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 1:47 PM, Sherry Lake <shla...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Philip Durbin