Leif Longva

Apr 8, 2014, 10:35:31 AM4/8/14
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I would like to see a language field in Dataverse, to record the language of the data. Our Dataverse-to-be-released will be used for linguistic data, and the language(s) as topic of the data is rather important. Is there a language field coming in 4.0, perhaps?

Eleni Castro

Apr 8, 2014, 12:14:04 PM4/8/14
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your question, Leif.

Before my team starts looking into supporting this -- just to be clear: are you looking for a language field to keep track of the primary language of the data (resource) rather than the language that the metadata is written in?
Do you expect that a data set could have multiple languages? Or just one primary language would be assigned per data set?
Any information you might be able to offer would be helpful for me to see how closely this aligns with what Dublin Core and DataCite schemas use for their Language element for indicating the language of the resource.

Best regards,
Eleni

--

Eleni Castro

Research Coordinator, Data Acquisition and Archiving, Data Science

IQSS, Harvard University

http://www.iq.harvard.edu/people/eleni-castro

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 10:35 AM, Leif Longva <leif....@uit.no> wrote:
I would like to see a language field in Dataverse, to record the language of the data. Our Dataverse-to-be-released will be used for linguistic data, and the language(s) as topic of the data is rather important. Is there a language field coming in 4.0, perhaps?

Leif Longva

Eleni Castro

Apr 9, 2014, 9:40:14 AM4/9/14
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for clarifying. I have created a ticket in Redmine https://redmine.hmdc.harvard.edu/issues/3836 for our team to review if this can be scheduled for 4.0. In the interim, since you mention that language is the topic of the data would it be suitable to list the languages under "Topic Classification"?

Best regards,
Eleni

Leif Longva