Error message when trying to publish dataset

Philipp at UiT

Nov 2, 2017, 3:02:19 PM11/2/17
to Dataverse Users Community
We get the following error message when trying to publish a dataset:

Error – Command edu.harvard.iq.dataverse.engine.command.impl.PublishDatasetCommand@2e107f1d failed: null If you believe this is an error, please contact DataverseNO Support for assistance.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

Best,
Philipp

Philip Durbin

Nov 2, 2017, 3:05:49 PM11/2/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Sorry to hear about your trouble.

That "null" means it could be anything, unfortunately. Please email your Glassfish server.log file to sup...@dataverse.org (or paste here the relevant part of the stack trace) and indicate which version of Dataverse you're running.

Thanks!

Phil

Philipp at UiT

Philip Durbin

Nov 2, 2017, 6:37:50 PM11/2/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I'm confused. I assume that the DataCite API is stable and doesn't change without plenty of notice so that other software can start using new versions of an API. I poked around the DataCite website but didn't see anything about API changes.

Again, your best best is to study the stack trace in server.log and send it along so we can help look at specific line numbers in the code for the version you're running.

I didn't realize you don't have access to the server.log file yourself. It makes me wonder if there's anything in the "actionlogrecord" table that's of interest. Tables like this we *could* expose in the GUI to a superuser in the dashboard some day. For more background on that table, please see https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/1532 . I also opened https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/2134 but eventually closed it because I seemed to be talking to myself. :)

Phil

On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 3:20 PM, Philipp at UiT <uit.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Philipp at UiT

Philip Durbin

Nov 3, 2017, 10:30:38 AM11/3/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! I took a look at the log and posted a long comment at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/3328#issuecomment-341717698

I think https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/4228 might be related in the sense that a `&nbsp;` somehow made it into the dataset metadata. As a workaround you might want to try looking for extra spaces and deleting them so that you can try to publish again. I would probably serialize the dataset to JSON using the native API to make this job easier rather than staring at the UI but it's up to you.

In short, until #3328 gets fixed, when a dataset won't publish like this, I think you'll need to edit the metadata to make sure no offending characters such as `&nbsp;` are sent across the wire to DataCite. Right now you are one of the few DataCite canaries in the coal mine since most of us are on EZID, so thank you for reporting these bugs because eventually we'll all need to switch!

I hope this make sense. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Phil

On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 9:27 AM, Philipp at UiT <uit.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Philipp at UiT

Nov 6, 2017, 4:34:30 AM11/6/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Finally, I figured out what caused the error message: The author had used [ and ] in the description field, rendering the following html code:

[article abstract]&nbsp;Phonological variation ...

I simply used the source code of the dataset page to search for "nbsp" :)

Thanks for your help, Phil!

Best,
Philipp

Philip Durbin

Nov 6, 2017, 7:00:09 AM11/6/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Huh. I did stare at that description for a bit but it seemed. Good catch. I added your workaround as a comment at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/3328 . Obviously, authors should be able to type whatever they want in descriptions. I'm glad you're all set.

Phil