Feedback on upgrading dataverse

Michel Bamouni

Apr 5, 2018, 4:54:02 PM4/5/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi,

I use dataverse 4.5.1 in production. I want to upgrade my dataverse from 4.5.1 to 4.8.6.
So if someone have already upgrading 4.x, I am interested in your feedback and good practices to carry out this version upgrade.

Best regards,

Michel

Philip Durbin

Apr 5, 2018, 5:57:42 PM4/5/18
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Everyone is welcome to share their own experiences doing upgrades but the main thing to know is that you have to follow the upgrade instructions for each intermediate version. So you have to upgrade from 4.5.1 to 4.6 to 4.6.1, etc until you get to 4.8.6, following the release notes for each version. This process is described at http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.8.6/installation/upgrading.html

I hope this helps,

Phil

Michel Bamouni

Apr 6, 2018, 8:42:03 AM4/6/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Philip,

Thanks for answer

Michel

On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 4:54 PM, Michel Bamouni <olimi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I use dataverse 4.5.1 in production. I want to upgrade my dataverse from 4.5.1 to 4.8.6.
So if someone have already upgrading 4.x, I am interested in your feedback and good practices to carry out this version upgrade.

Best regards,

Michel

Don Sizemore

Apr 6, 2018, 9:00:55 AM4/6/18
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

We went from 3.6.2 => 3.6.3 => 4.5.1 => 4.7.1 and we're about to upgrade to 4.8.6 =)

In general:

• be sure to have backups (database and filesystem) first.

• if you're running a virtual machine and your hypervisor supports snapshots, take a snapshot.

• you do want to step through each warfile/release to be safe.

• to handle the .psql scripts safely, you can open a shell/connection to postgres and:
  => begin;
  => <copy-paste SQL statements here>
  => commit;
  If there are errors, you can issue:
  => rollback;
  but note one of the 4.8.n SQL scripts (2 or 3?) will crab a bit about duplicate tables/columns

• if Glassfish won't start and throws OSGI module corruption errors, remove the "generated" directory, probably /usr/local/glassfish4/glassfish/domains/domain1/generated

• after your last upgrade, it's probably good to stop and start Glassfish one final time before testing and/or walking away

• if you take a VM snapshot don't forget to consolidate it... not that I've forgotten, ever!

Oh, and whoever's doing the upgrades will want a quiet room and a companion for a second pair of eyes. Any interruptions make it easy to skip a step.

I hope this helps?

On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 5:57 PM, Philip Durbin <philip...@harvard.edu> wrote:
Everyone is welcome to share their own experiences doing upgrades but the main thing to know is that you have to follow the upgrade instructions for each intermediate version. So you have to upgrade from 4.5.1 to 4.6 to 4.6.1, etc until you get to 4.8.6, following the release notes for each version. This process is described at http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.8.6/installation/upgrading.html

I hope this helps,

Phil
On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 4:54 PM, Michel Bamouni <olimi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I use dataverse 4.5.1 in production. I want to upgrade my dataverse from 4.5.1 to 4.8.6.
So if someone have already upgrading 4.x, I am interested in your feedback and good practices to carry out this version upgrade.

Best regards,

Michel

Pete Meyer

Apr 7, 2018, 3:39:37 PM4/7/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi,

All of Don's suggestions are excellent (I'm going to refer to them in when I run through the Dataverse upgrade process); but I have a few minor additional suggestions to add:

- For extended downtime procedures (something I expect to take longer than a minute or two), I try to post an outage notification for the end users at least a few days prior to the upgrade.

- If there are other people (sysadmins, etc) who will get alerts from monitoring when your installation is offline, it's probably a good idea to give them a heads up before starting.

- Before starting the upgrade, switch the top-level URL to a static page (in apache, or in a load-balancer / web router if you're using one).  It might also not be a bad idea to have any landing pages return the appropriate HTTP status code for "the landing page for this DOI isn't here at the moment, but will be back once maintenance is over"; unfortunately I don't recall the appropriate one offhand.

- In the `psql` console, I'll usually do `\f $file_with_sql_statements` between `begin;` and `commit;` / `rollback;` to reduce the impact of potential typo's (which I make with enough frequency that it's worth mitigating them...).

- I find automating as much of the process as possible, and preparing a short checklist beforehand, to be helpful.  This checklist is usually along the lines of : do $x if something unexpected happens and you need to abort; run script to switch to static/maintance mode; run script(s) to upgrade; do whatever checks are needed; run script to switch out of maintenance mode.

- A staging environment, even if it's a virtual machine running on a desktop, can be helpful to test the procedure beforehand.  But depending on how automated your system provisioning process is, it could be more effort than it's worth to set up one.

Best,
Pete

Sherry Lake

Apr 7, 2018, 3:57:53 PM4/7/18
to Dataverse Users Community
At UVa, I use the StatusMessageText: http://guides.dataverse.org/en/latest/installation/config.html#statusmessagetext
to post upcoming outage notification on my dataverse site.

We also have a staging server, which I do recommend, to test upgrades and any modifications we may want to test before going to production. Definitely has helped to have a staging server for work on our home page. Which I am still working on. UVa Library is now using "dynamic webcomponents" & it has been lots of work to get our "standard" Library header/footers to work on dataverse. We are almost there!!

--
Sherry

Michel Bamouni

Apr 10, 2018, 2:55:18 AM4/10/18