How can I check if DCm is well installed?

Michel Bamouni

Jan 14, 2020, 11:06:43 AM1/14/20
to Dataverse Users Community
Hello every one,

Happy new year to all.
but I don't know how I can check is the tool is well installed ? what kind of request or command I can make to ensure that the installation work?

best regards,

Michel

Philip Durbin

Jan 14, 2020, 11:51:47 AM1/14/20
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi, yes, Happy New Year!

At this point I would switch over to the Dataverse guides and configure these two database settings:

- :DataCaptureModuleUrl
- :UploadMethods

You are one of the few, the brave, who has installed DCM so please ask questions if you get stuck!

Phil

Michel Bamouni

Jan 15, 2020, 11:18:33 AM1/15/20
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi,

Thanks Phil for your answer.

I already configure the settings in the database. Following the dataverse documentation, it seems that the next step is to "downloading rsync scripts via Dataverse API". Before to to try downloading the rsync script , I want to check if my DCM is well installed.
How do you check this at harvard university? How can I upload a file to DCM?

Best regards,

Michel

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 11:06 AM Michel Bamouni <olimi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello every one,

Happy new year to all.
but I don't know how I can check is the tool is well installed ? what kind of request or command I can make to ensure that the installation work?

best regards,

Michel

Philip Durbin

Jan 15, 2020, 5:33:23 PM1/15/20
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
It's a little weird but to upload you have to download. :)

Let me try to explain.

First, users download a shell script that contains rsync commands.

When users run the shell script, data files should be uploaded to an rsync server (DCM). Credentials (that expire) are embedded in the shell script.

http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.18.1/developers/big-data-support.html is hard to follow because it was written as reminders for developers like me who have to care about not only what the user is doing but what various systems (Dataverse, DCM, RSAL) are doing with each other (sending "ok, go on the next step", etc.).

Here's what I'd suggest, if you want:

- open an issue "How do I check if DCM is well installed?" at https://github.com/sbgrid/data-capture-module/issues
- open an issue "Move DCM and related documentation from the dev guide to the installation guide" at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues

I hope this makes sense. Please keep the questions coming. :)

Thanks,

Phil

Michel Bamouni

Jan 16, 2020, 7:53:31 AM1/16/20