Deploying Dataverse depository : VM or bare metal ?

Piyanai Saowarattitada

Mar 29, 2017, 1:12:56 PM3/29/17
to Dataverse Users Community

Hello, We are planning on deploying a Dataverse depository and would like to get the following feedback from the community around deploying on VM vs bare metal :

1. if it's the case, why did you decide to deploy DV depository on VM instead of bare metal or vise versa ?
2. over time, have there been any usage issues for those deployments that are on VM ?
3. any data installation that ended up transitioning to bare metal (from VM ?)  and why ?

Any input would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!
Piyanai

Don Sizemore

Mar 29, 2017, 1:27:52 PM3/29/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

We at Odum have run our installation totally in VMware for several years with no adverse affects to my knowledge.

Our VMware infrastructure provides us with redundancy at the network- and hardware levels, and has protected us from several potential after-hours headaches.

The storage subsystem will be the likely bottleneck (during our migration, a Perl script I wrote to copy old original file formats to a new naming convention made a string of small-file writes within a VMDK hosted over NFS, and that temporarily bogged things down). Other than that, be sure to give Glassfish plenty of RAM - 24G or more if possible.

I hope this helps?
Donald

Piyanai Saowarattitada

Mar 29, 2017, 9:11:49 PM3/29/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Yes, thank you Donald. This is very helpful information.

With all the data we gathered so far,  we will aim to use an OpenStack instance (VM) in our cloud for the Dataverse repository.

Would be great to hear more input from others who are using VM though...

Piyanai

Philip Durbin

Mar 29, 2017, 9:19:30 PM3/29/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I imagine VMs will be fine for you and I do hope others share their experience with running Dataverse on VMs.

Mostly I'm just chiming in to say that http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.6.1/installation/prep.html#hardware-requirements is still accurate when it says the following:

"A basic installation of Dataverse runs fine on modest hardware. For example, as of this writing the test installation at http://phoenix.dataverse.org is backed by a single virtual machine with two 2.8 GHz processors, 8 GB of RAM and 50 GB of disk.

In contrast, the production installation at https://dataverse.harvard.edu is currently backed by six servers with two Intel Xeon 2.53 Ghz CPUs and either 48 or 64 GB of RAM."

I hope this helps. It would be great if others jump in. I believe some folks are running Dataverse on AWS.

Phil

Piyanai Saowarattitada

Mar 29, 2017, 11:58:12 PM3/29/17
to Dataverse Users Community, philip...@harvard.edu
Thanks Phil for your response. Yes, Danny had pointed out the installation document URL in an email thread. But it's good to know that the info. is still accurate/not out of date.

A repository on AWS (cloud) would be a very good comparison to the OpenStack instance we are deploying the repository on. So would very much like to get input on that...

Sebastian Karcher

Mar 30, 2017, 12:16:41 AM3/30/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
we will be deploying Dataverse on AWS, but it's probably still a couple of months until we have that running in production (no problems in our development build so far).
The Texas Digital Libraries run their Dataverse on AWS (entirely, as far as I know): https://dataverse.tdl.org/
I'm not sure if someone from there reads along here -- they were at last year's community meeting.

Sebastian Karcher, PhD
www.sebastiankarcher.com