Successful Transition from EZID DOI registrations to DataCite

Sherry Lake

Feb 23, 2018, 10:55:59 AM2/23/18
to Dataverse Users Community
We have our test system working with DataCite (was set up for EZID).

Here is what we modified for our test server - registering DOIs with our test DataCite mds account on the mds test server

To make changes, need to stop Glassfish, change file (below) and then restart glass fish:

In file: /var/local/glassfish4/glassfish/domains/domain1/config/domain.xml

changed:

       <jvm-options>-Ddoi.password=NEW-DataCite Password</jvm-options>

       <jvm-options>-Ddoi.username=DataCIte Username</jvm-options>

       <jvm-options>-Ddoi.baseurlstring=https://mds.test.datacite.org</jvm-options>

Then run this command to change the DOI Provider to DataCite:

         curl -X PUT -d DataCite http://localhost:8080/api/admin/settings/:DoiProvider

We do not have an account on DataCite production, but when we do, we will change our production dataverse - LibraData.

--
Sherry

Jim Myers

Mar 12, 2018, 3:59:04 PM3/12/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Thanks! We (QDR) just received some DataCite test credentials and I followed your guidance to get setup. To pay it forward, here are a few more notes:

1) I used
asadmin delete-jvm-options <old setting>
and
asadmin create-jvm-options <new setting>

rather than edit the domain.xml file. The only issue is that the : in the baseurl has to be escaped:

asadmin create-jvm-options '-Ddoi.baseurlstring=https\://mds.datacite.org'

These result in the same changes to domain.xml that you have.

2) Our credentials appear to be for mds.datacite.org rather than mds.test.datacite.org. They are still only for the 10.5072 authority. I'm not sure what we did differently but if anyone gets authentication errors, it might be useful to check the other domain name.

3) I used curl to do some testing as described in the DataCite MDS docs - https://support.datacite.org/docs/mds-2 - that was helpful in general and with the next issue:

4) I found some oddities in how upper/lower/and mixed case identifiers are handled. QDR uses all uppercase in DOIs and, with the config changes above, these worked. However, the DataCite Fabrica interface showed lowercase versions of our identifiers and it appears that DataCite is actually registering upper and lowercase records. I sent DataCite support an email about this but the take-home for now is that Fabrica shows the lowercase versions and that version may show as working and resolve at doi.org to a a landing page, while the uppercase version does not yet work. Or vice versa - I saw both cases while testing. My guess is that this is from the upper and lowercase versions taking different amounts of time to appear on doi.org. Eventually, upper/lower/and mixed case versions all resolved fine after publishing the uppercase version through dataverse - it's just potentially confusing during testing.

-- Jim

Sherry Lake

Mar 13, 2018, 8:24:45 PM3/13/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Thanks Jim,

UVa was given the test datacite server (mds.test.datacite.org) while we waited for our membership account. We now have our datacite membership account and will be using that (mds.datacite.org) w/ test prefix for now on for our test environment.

--
Sherry

Philip Durbin

Oct 17, 2018, 6:11:39 PM10/17/18
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Harvard Dataverse just transitioned from EZID to DataCite and while I can't take any credit for the move or the notes that were written up, I thought I'd share them: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/blob/07cf22be92307c06bcfc3e8dbf13f2d40f128416/scripts/globalid/doi/migration_ezid2datacite/README.txt

Phil