error in installing DV docker-aio

Valentina Pasquale

Jun 26, 2019, 10:50:18 AM6/26/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Dear DV users,

we are trying to install Dataverse using Docker All-in-one image (https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/tree/develop/conf/docker-aio).
We tried both using "Quickstart" guidelines and "in-depth documentation" (https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/blob/develop/conf/docker-aio/readme.md) on Ubuntu 18.04.2 and Ubuntu 16.04.3 and we got this error in all cases:

remote failure: Error occurred during deployment: Exception while loading the app : javax.ejb.CreateException: Initialization failed for Singleton StartupFlywayMigrator. Please see server.log for more details.

while running docker exec dv /opt/dv/setupIT.bash.

Has anyone encountered the same issue?

Thanks.

Best regards

Valentina

error_log.txt

Philip Durbin

Jun 26, 2019, 11:11:17 AM6/26/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi! Yes, there's a bug in the "develop" branch right now and we're tracking this issue in https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/5964

docker-aio as of the latest released version (4.15) should work fine.

Can you please tell us a little more about your use case? docker-aio is something developers use, especially to run our automated API test suite: http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.15/developers/testing.html#running-the-full-api-test-suite-using-docker

There's a community effort to run Dataverse on Docker in production and you can catch up on the conversation at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/4665

The summary is to take a look at these two repos (both community supported):

I hope this helps!

Phil

Valentina Pasquale

Jun 26, 2019, 12:52:54 PM6/26/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Philip,

we managed to install docker-aio of the latest released version (4.15) and it worked, but reading your email I am not sure it will work for our purposes.

We would like to install Dataverse in a pilot environment in our institution (Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia, www.iit.it), allowing us to make tests and eventually inviting a small group of scientists to try it out (keeping the repository private for the moment). We looked for how to install Dataverse using Docker and found https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse-docker, but the last supported version is the 4.9.4. Since we wanted to test the latest one (4.15), we tried to update the version number in dataversedock/step2.sh as suggested in https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse-docker/blob/master/README.md, but it didn't work and we got this error:

Attempting to deploy the application.
dataverse    | Command line: /usr/local/glassfish4/bin/asadmin deploy dataverse.war
db           | ERROR:  relation "sequence" does not exist at character 22
db           | STATEMENT:  SELECT SEQ_NAME FROM SEQUENCE WHERE SEQ_NAME <> SEQ_NAME
db           | ERROR:  syntax error at or near "NOT" at character 44
db           | STATEMENT:  ALTER TABLE variablemetadata
db           | ADD COLUMN IF NOT EXISTS postquestion text
dataverse    | remote failure: Error occurred during deployment: Exception while loading the app : javax.ejb.CreateException: Initialization failed for Singleton StartupFlywayMigrator. Please see server.log for more details.
dataverse    | Command deploy failed.
dataverse    | Failed to deploy the application! WAR file: dataverse.war.
dataverse    | (exit code: 256)
dataverse    | Aborting.
dataverse    | Created 1 option(s)

I also understood dataverse-docker is a community-supported repo, so we finally opted for docker-aio, but it looks like it is not the right choice.

What would you suggest to us? Would you suggest to install Dataverse without using a container?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Valentina

On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 10:50 AM Valentina Pasquale <valentin...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear DV users,

we are trying to install Dataverse using Docker All-in-one image (https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/tree/develop/conf/docker-aio).
We tried both using "Quickstart" guidelines and "in-depth documentation" (https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/blob/develop/conf/docker-aio/readme.md) on Ubuntu 18.04.2 and Ubuntu 16.04.3 and we got this error in all cases:

remote failure: Error occurred during deployment: Exception while loading the app : javax.ejb.CreateException: Initialization failed for Singleton StartupFlywayMigrator. Please see server.log for more details.

while running docker exec dv /opt/dv/setupIT.bash.

Has anyone encountered the same issue?

Thanks.

Best regards

Valentina

Philip Durbin

Jun 26, 2019, 1:33:36 PM6/26/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi, if it helps https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse-kubernetes has been updated to Dataverse 4.15 already but again, it's community supported.

For a production installation I'd recommend a more traditional installation but it's up to you, of course. The creators of dataverse-docker (Slava) and dataverse-kubernetes (Oliver) have been working hard and are eager for feedback on their Docker-based solutions. docker-aio is not a good solution because it's only used for testing.

I should mention that your scientists are also welcome to try out Dataverse at https://demo.dataverse.org

As of Dataverse 4.15 we started using "IF NOT EXISTS" syntax, which requires PostgreSQL 9.6 or higher. I was just talking to Brian at http://irclog.iq.harvard.edu/dataverse/2019-06-26#i_98874 about how we should put a warning in our release notes for 4.15.

For anyone reading this who needs to upgrade Postgres, there was some nice discussion over at https://groups.google.com/d/msg/dataverse-dev/CTRpKg0xP2o/SKWHedmvBQAJ

I hope this helps!

Phil

Valentina Pasquale

Jul 10, 2019, 6:18:51 AM7/10/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Dear Philip,

I just want to let you know that we managed to install Dataverse 4.15 using GitHub repo dataverse-docker with the (precious) support of Slava, who upgraded DV version (see here: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse-docker/issues/19).

Thanks again for your support.

Best,

Valentina