Acknowledging the Dataverse

Dr. Shea A. Hess Webber

Oct 5, 2021, 6:30:57 PM10/5/21
to Dataverse Users Community
I've been trying to find the best way to reference and/or acknowledge use of the Dataverse itself, not a particular set of data. I found the list of publications on the website, but I am unsure which would be the best reference.

Does anyone have guidance on this or, even better, a bibtex entry to add to my LaTeX document?

I also suggest adding this to the website for others to easily find as well!

Cheers,
Shea

Philip Durbin

Oct 6, 2021, 9:23:47 AM10/6/21
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
First, thanks for asking!

I'm pretty sure most people cite this paper:

Gary King. 2007. “An Introduction to the Dataverse Network as an Infrastructure for Data Sharing.” Sociological Methods and Research, 36, Pp. 173–199. Copy at https://j.mp/2owjuRr

(If you follow that j.mp link, there's a BibTex entry.)

That's the paper linked from https://dataverse.org/about

Let me check with Gary to confirm. And yes, good idea to make this more clear on the website.

Thanks,

Phil

danny...@g.harvard.edu

Oct 6, 2021, 9:37:07 AM10/6/21
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Shea,

I'd also encourage you to check out

Thanks Phil for linking the paper -- the content on the pages above is generally derived from it, as well as some data citation guidance from other groups.

- Danny

Philip Durbin

Oct 6, 2021, 11:12:15 AM10/6/21
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I checked with Gary and yes, that's the right paper to cite.

To https://dataverse.org/about I also added "Please use this paper to cite the Dataverse Project." I hope that helps clarify things.

Thanks,

Phil

Shea Hess Webber

Oct 6, 2021, 3:03:20 PM10/6/21
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
It does. Thanks all!

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Dataverse Users Community" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dataverse-community/CABbxx8HuS6%3DrwwZWe6xkpzpWYLp0q%2BGqhmcTgUV8C0VcgFanqA%40mail.gmail.com.

--
Dr. Shea A. Hess Webber
Research Scientist

Janet McDougall - Australian Data Archive

Mar 14, 2023, 1:30:38 AM3/14/23
to Dataverse Users Community
hi All
I have a question from a research group we work with on qualitative data.  Most research groups under the ADA Dataverse platform https://dataverse.ada.edu.au have their own sub-dataverses.

How can this research community cite their sub-dataverse collection?  Posts above are examples of how to cite the Dataverse Project, and citation of datasets is obvious. A sub-dataverse collection has it's own URL, so potentially the citation could look like:

Studies of Childhood Education and Youth (SOCEY) Dataverse, ADA Dataverse, viewed date, https://dataverse.ada.edu.au/dataverse/SOCEY

But there are no author(s), created date of sub-dataverse.

thanks
Janet

Sebastian Karcher

Mar 14, 2023, 9:17:28 AM3/14/23
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I'd model a citation to a dataverse collection (aka sub-dataverse) after a website citation, i.e. like you have it. As opposed to datasets, collections don't have much metadata, they don't have PIDs, they don't have versioning, and they don't make any claim to stability (items can be moved into and out of dataverses without any visible trace), so they're not citeable items in the same sense as datasets. Just like websites, they can still be desirable to cite, but I would not make any efforts to make them look like something they aren't in citations.

--
Sebastian Karcher, PhD
www.sebastiankarcher.com

Samuel Klein

Mar 14, 2023, 10:59:23 AM3/14/23
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I'd actually love to be able to cite a timestamped version of a collection like this.
Is there a thread or FR somewhere for adding a collection description?

Creation date is visible from a search, author is visible in the header (here also ADA, but you have collections authored by ANU as well).
A "last modified" data would be useful for knowing if it has changed and for such a cite.

SJ

--
Samuel Klein          @metasj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266
Message has been deleted

Janet McDougall - Australian Data Archive

Mar 15, 2023, 1:48:39 AM3/15/23
to Dataverse Users Community

hi Sebastian and Samuel
Thanks for your responses.  It would be useful for collections to have a timestamp for 'last modified'  that could be compared against 'viewed date'.   But as Sebastian pointed out, collections are not stable so would be more difficult to know what has changed at this level.

 I will suggest they use my citation example, including the creation date on the sub-dataverse.

Janet

Philip Durbin

Mar 16, 2023, 9:37:48 PM3/16/23
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
It's true, collections (dataverses) are not stable. Datasets can be moved in or out of them. It's a tricky citation.

That said, there has been interest in collections having a DOIs (PID): https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/8889

I just thought I'd remind the collective consciousness of that issue. :)

Also, my understanding of this thread is that its original intent was to discuss software citation of the Dataverse software. I believe we've drifted into talking about citation of collections, which I would say deserves a fresh thread, if someone wants to kick one off. :)

Lots of good ideas here! Please keep them coming!

Thanks,

Phil

p.s. From a quick look, it does look like the the modification timestamp for collections is updated on save:

It doesn't seem to be exposed via API though (just the "created" timestamp): https://dataverse.harvard.edu/api/dataverses/open-source-at-harvard

Philipp Conzett

Mar 19, 2023, 1:43:24 AM3/19/23
to Dataverse Users Community