what are the OS requirements for DV4.0

Richard Zijdeman

Apr 24, 2015, 5:29:47 PM4/24/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I've looked at the installation guide and it appears to imply that currently DV4.0 will only run on Red Hat, unlike DV3.6 which also ran on MacOSX. I have two questions:
- On which OS and what versions does DV4.0 currently run?
- Given the 'optimal' OS: how long would an install from scratch take? (e.g. is this a matter of hours?)

Thanks,

Richard

Philip Durbin

Apr 24, 2015, 8:56:19 PM4/24/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Well, Dataverse 4.0 definitely runs on OS X since that's the platform the main development team at uses. The installer handles both OS X and RHEL/CentOS: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/tree/master/scripts/installer

Interest has been expressed in installing Dataverse 4.0 on Debian or Ubuntu and this would be a great place for someone who knows those distros better than we do to help get it working in our Vagrant environment: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/1059

Speaking of Vagrant, you should be able to run `vagrant up` and go get a coffee and have a working Dataverse 4.0 installation to play with: http://guides.dataverse.org/en/latest/developers/tools.html#vagrant

Ok, maybe two coffees. The Vagrant environment will build a war file if you haven't done so already.

The installation guide needs a lot of work (and keep in mind we haven't release an official war file yet!). I've been trying to keep the Vagrant environment up to date as a sort of "executable documentation". :)

In the DVN 3.x days the community added some pages to the wiki on GitHub. We could probably enable the wiki on the new/current repo if there's interest. And please remember that the Installation Guide itself is on GitHub so pull requests are certainly welcome! https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/tree/master/doc/sphinx-guides/source/installation

Did I answer the questions? You'll have the best luck running Dataverse 4.0 on CentOS or RHEL I suspect. If you want just the core working (without rApache and TwoRavens and Zelig and geoconnect) you can get it running pretty quickly. Please ask questions if you get stuck!

Phil