"Error – This dataset may not be published because the EZID Service is currently inaccessible."

Rebeca Barros

Aug 30, 2017, 8:34:43 AM8/30/17
to Dataverse Users Community

Hi all,

I installed a local Dataverse (v. 4.7.1 build 94-62f8987), the documentation is easy to follow and well detailed, congrats! However, I am getting an error when trying to publish a dataset:

"Error – This dataset may not be published because the EZID Service is currently inaccessible. Please try again. Does the issue continue to persist? If you believe this is an error, please contact Support for assistance."

I post about this in this thread but Philip Durbin alert me that maybe this is not an error caused by 'EZID Service'. I also find this, saying that maybe is something related with de 'fqdn' setting. I am using a local server therefore, I do not have a valid URL.

My domain.xml file was like:

<jvm-options>-Ddataverse.fqdn=localhost</jvm-options>
<jvm-options>-Ddataverse.siteUrl=http://${dataverse.fqdn}:8080</jvm-options>

 I try different values for siteURL following Philip tips, like:

<jvm-options>-Ddataverse.siteUrl=http:myserverip:8080</jvm-options> and
<jvm-options>-Ddataverse.siteUrl=http:myserverip.dataverse.org:8080</jvm-options>

I have searched about how to set fqdn for your localhost and I tried that and changed the fqdn option for something like

hostname.dataverse.org
and that also did not worked.

Any insights on this? Or anyone that had the same error message and solved it with other approach?

Thank you

Philip Durbin

Aug 30, 2017, 9:21:31 AM8/30/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rebeca,

Sorry, I was a little distracted when I was trying to help you yesterday[1] in chat.

Let's back up a moment. Are you trying to use EZID or DataCite for DOIs? As you pointed out[2], EZID is no longer issuing new EZID accounts but as I was saying in that thread the test EZID account we configure Dataverse with out of the box should still work, for now. I tested it. For DataCite, you would need to apply for an account.

Also, to help you troubleshoot, the best thing would probably for you to email your database settings and JVM options to sup...@dataverse.org

You can output all of your database settings as once with this command:

You can output all of your JVM options at once with this command:

/usr/local/glassfish4/glassfish/bin/asadmin list-jvm-options

Thanks,

Phil

Rebeca Barros

Aug 30, 2017, 10:37:06 AM8/30/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Philip,

Don't worry and thanks again for all support. I'm using all default settings, including EZID for DOIs. I have followed your suggestion and sent an e-mail with information about database settings and JVM options.

Rebeca Barros
bk.b...@gmail.com

Philip Durbin

Aug 30, 2017, 10:52:41 AM8/30/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, yes, I can see all the details in https://help.hmdc.harvard.edu/Ticket/Display.html?id=252664 . Much appreciated!

We'll follow up there in that ticket and later attempt to summarize for this mailing list what the fix ended up being.

Rebeca Barros
bk.b...@gmail.com

Kevin Condon

Aug 30, 2017, 1:37:43 PM8/30/17
to Dataverse Users Community

Hi,

Silly question but are you able to access the ezid url from the machine running dataverse using something like curl or wget?

Kevin

Rebeca Barros

Sep 1, 2017, 9:16:24 AM9/1/17
to Dataverse Users Community

Hi Kevin,

It is not silly at all. In fact, I'm the one feeling silly right now. You're right, turns out that the server's firewall has been blocking the ezid page access. Once this access was allowed, everything worked as should be.

Thanks for the insight.

Anders Conrad

Sep 11, 2017, 9:15:13 AM9/11/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Any news on this issue?

We are facing similar behaviour on a brand-new installation where no Datacite or other DOI interface has been configured.

Cheers,
Anders

Philip Durbin

Sep 11, 2017, 9:43:20 AM9/11/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Anders,

Rebeca reported[1] that Kevin's suggestion[2] to check the firewall worked for her. Traffic to EZID was being blocked. Opening it up allowed the dataset to be published.

The best thing would be for you to email your server.log file to sup...@dataverse.org with a note about which version you're running.

Thanks!

Phil

Anders Conrad

Sep 13, 2017, 7:21:01 AM9/13/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Thanks for the hints, we identified our problem to be the way our proxy server was configured. Now we have moved the Dataverse application to a public IP, and the EZID connection works.

Thanks!
Anders

Philip Durbin

Sep 13, 2017, 7:23:51 AM9/13/17