Open Data in India: In a Restrictive Copyright Regime, Voluntary Organisations Pitch in to Make Data Accessible

Thejesh GN

Jun 15, 2020, 1:41:43 AM6/15/20
to datameet
Team,

I wrote a piece for EPW about the status of Open Data and How communities like ours. Thank you for being an awesome community. The article is open to all.

Open Data in India: In a Restrictive Copyright Regime, Voluntary Organisations Pitch in to Make Data Accessible

- This was pre covid-19, so a lot of things related to that are missing.
- Comments are welcome here on this thread or  on this blog post

Thej
--
Thejesh GN  ತೇಜೇಶ್ ಜಿ.ಎನ್
http://thejeshgn.com

Naveen Francis

Jun 15, 2020, 11:19:02 PM6/15/20
to datameet
Nice writeup Thej,

SOI point of view is completely different

'Don't take data, but starting using SOI services.'

Natasha kalra

Jun 16, 2020, 7:07:24 AM6/16/20
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi all

Is there any population-wise data available at one place for all the ULBs which participated in Swachh Bharat ranking 2019?

Thanks in advance
Natasha

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org

Dilawar Singh

Jun 16, 2020, 8:50:45 AM6/16/20
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi Thej, Datameet

After reading this, I went to SOI site and tried downloading few maps. I could only find PDFs. And data.gov.in also love PDFs.

I wrote a couple of scripts which I used to figure out boundaries  and extract data from curves in old PDF paper. It's a tricky business but I had decent success (One python3 app is here https://github.com/dilawar/PlotDigitizer). These scripts can also be tweaked to fetch boundaries from PDF maps (no deep-learning business yet). If datameet still struggling to find the boundaries from such maps, please send a few samples to me. I can probably setup a web-service to upload the map and get the GeoJSON if results are OK.

best,
    Dilawar

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 8:49 AM Naveen Francis <nave...@gmail.com> wrote:
--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org

Dilawar
NCBS Bangalore

Saba Mundlay

Jun 17, 2020, 2:09:50 AM6/17/20
to datameet
Hi,

Alternatively, one could also use geo-referencing in QGIS to create spatial data from PDFs. Are the results you are getting with the python script faster / more accurate? Would love to see it :)

Dilawar
NCBS Bangalore