Request for Road Traffic Density data 2019-2020

Divyansh Deshmukh

Jun 18, 2020, 12:59:32 PM6/18/20
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I, Divyansh Deshmukh, am a research student in IIIT Hyderabad under Dr. Sachin Chaudhari (SPCRC Lab, IIIT Hyderabad). We here, at IIIT Hyderabad are doing a research project on air pollution and are in need for the road traffic density data.

Data required - Traffic density data from 01/01/2019 to 14/06/2020. Cities - Hyderabad, Bangalore and Delhi. Hourly average preferable.

The data required is extremely important for us for betterment and development of the cities. It would be really helpful if the data required is provided.

Kindly consider my request.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks & Regards
Divyansh Deshmukh

Nikhil VJ

Jun 27, 2020, 10:37:28 AM6/27/20
to datameet
Hi Divyansh,

Some steering questions seeing that this is a research thing:

- What are the methods in which such data can be recorded and collected?

- What are legalities surrounding each of these methods?

- What kinds of entities have capability to collect such data?

- Are there any entities under above list that are known to be doing this collection?

- Are there any entities from above list that might be able to share this collected data with you?

- If none of above are directly openly sharing, what do you need to do to get them to share it with you?

- If above questions could not be answered satisfactorily, then a more basic question: Does the data exist at all in the way it's originally required and under terms that you can obtain it?

- If not, then would it be worth to pivot from locating source of needed data to creating / collating / collecting needed data?

- What would one need to do it? Technology, resources, time, know-how?

- Are there others looking for the same / similar things as you are, and are there opportunities to form alliances for a common goal?

- If so, then what is it that you can bring to the table?

- Is it better to initiate such an effort, or join into one that is already ongoing?

Myself I've got no clue, but this might help you take steps towards your goal. Oftentimes I've observed that the thing needed comes into existence only after questions for it are asked and then gears are switched from expecting a result to participating in forming it. All the best!

--
Cheers,
Nikhil VJ

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org

Abhishek

Jun 27, 2020, 12:00:27 PM6/27/20
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hey Divyansh,

I might be able give you historical data for public buses in Delhi and Bangalore using which you can estimate the density.

We (Smart Cities Mission) are trying hard to open such datasets to the community but it will take some time.

Just send me a brief about your project and the data license you would need for the same.

Cheers,
-Abhishek Upperwal
Fellow, MoHUA