Latest Shape File of Districts

Gurpreet Singh

Jan 15, 2021, 9:24:53 PM1/15/21
to data...@googlegroups.com
Dear All

Happy Makar Sakranti.

I have been struggling to match the names of districts in an old shapefile and the latest data of CMIE to make a table joint. As many names of districts have changed, it will be much help if anyone can share the latest district's shapefile with the latest names.

It will be much help.

Gurpreet Singh

Doctoral Student - Food and Agribusiness
Indian Institute of Management- Ahmedabad
M.A. Rural Development, Tata Institute of Social Sciences
B.Sc. Agriculture, G.B.P.U.A.&T., Pantnagar
skype: gurpreetinbox1

“Stretching his hand out to catch the stars, he forgets the flowers at his feet” ~ Jeremy Bentham

guneet...@sputznik.com

Jan 16, 2021, 2:21:53 PM1/16/21
to datameet
I was tracking this actively here https://github.com/guneetnarula/indian-district-boundaries till last summer, but with some help, can update to the latest. Note that these are not accurate, only meant for visualizations, and the names are according the Registrar General of India. There is a conflict between that source and the State government websites in some cases.

- Guneet

Amit Nambiar

Jan 18, 2021, 1:04:49 AM1/18/21
to datameet
Official shape files for national, state and district boundaries are available here.

Amit

Elijah Schwanitz

Mar 25, 2021, 4:25:50 AM3/25/21
to datameet
These district boundaries appear slightly out-of-date. They don't reflect the 2016 boundary changes in Manipur, at least. Any idea if there's an updated version available somewhere publicly?

Naveen Francis

Mar 25, 2021, 10:14:04 PM3/25/21
to datameet
739 districts are mapped here.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Districts_in_India#How_to_download_data_.3F

AFIK Nagda in MP is yet to be notified.
this has to be merged to the old district.

Ganesh Babu

Apr 10, 2021, 11:06:56 AM4/10/21
to data...@googlegroups.com
The OpenStreetMap version of districts in TN around Chennai is also a bit messy as compared to the one on the Government website

image.pngimage.png
ttp://overpass-turbo.eu/s/J6N

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org

Thanks and regards,

Ganesh Babu R P
+31 0 645 02 44 16

Arun Ganesh

Apr 10, 2021, 10:09:07 PM4/10/21
to datameet
Fairly certain the Chennai district boundary on the TN govt website is incorrect. As per official notification, the district should be coterminus with the Greater Chennai Corporation boundary. Had done some research on this: https://github.com/justinelliotmeyers/India_Official_Boundaries_2019/issues/9#issuecomment-663592799

The boundary on OSM is also incorrect and is the old city limits prior to expansion. Let me see if i can fix them over the weekend.

Justin

Apr 12, 2021, 5:21:22 PM4/12/21
to datameet

If anyone can find the official Chennai boundary, please let me know. I emailed at least 20 different governmental departments/ agencies. Not a single reply. I would really like to have the current/ correct boundary.
Thanks,
Justin

Arun Ganesh

Apr 13, 2021, 1:02:07 PM4/13/21
to datameet
This district map on the Chennai district website confirms the shape of the new Chenai district https://chennai.nic.in/waterbody/

Its an open question what happened to the St Thomas Mount cantonment area which is shown as a hole.

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 1.00.22 PM.png

Ganesh Babu

Apr 13, 2021, 8:48:33 PM4/13/21
to data...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for this information Arun. I didn't realize the Govt website had incorrect information.