The State of FOSS in India | Report Launch | 12th-15th Janurary 2021

gggod...@gmail.com

Jan 11, 2021, 12:08:14 AM1/11/21
to datameet
Dear DataMeet Members,

Greetings from CivicDatalab! Wish you a very happy, healthy and prosperous New Year. We are very pleased to invite you to the India FOSS week 2021 organized by CivicDataLab and supported by Omidyar Network India.

The event kicks off with the launch of the report -
"The State of Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) in India" on 12th January 2021,  followed by exciting panel discussions through the week:
FOSS & Governments (12th January 2021; 17:00 -18:30 IST)
FOSS & Education (13th January 2021; 17:00 -18:00 IST)
FOSS & Businesses (14th January 2021; 17:00 - 18:00 IST)
FOSS & Communities (15th January 2021; 18:00 - 19:30 IST)

More than 85% of India’s Internet runs on FOSS. We consume it daily to chat with our friends and family, book train tickets, perform bank transactions, or watch shows. However, India still lags behind the global landscape in building sustainable home-grown projects and needs a strategic plan to incubate and proliferate domestic FOSS innovations worldwide.

At India FOSS Week, we will explore how FOSS can take India to greater heights of socio-economic development. We will launch our upcoming report on this subject, to help develop a deeper understanding of the history, current stakeholders, and challenges faced by the FOSS movement.

Lastly, we will explore ways to support more FOSS adoption in India. Please register here using the link: https://bit.ly/indiafossweek. We eagerly look forward to having you with us.

Regards,
Gaurav

Anivar Aravind

Jan 12, 2021, 10:28:25 PM1/12/21
to data...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 10:38 AM gggod...@gmail.com <gggod...@gmail.com> wrote:

More than 85% of India’s Internet runs on FOSS

Source/ Data for this?

gggod...@gmail.com

Jan 13, 2021, 6:17:02 AM1/13/21
to datameet
Please access report and relevant sources at: https://state-of-foss.in/

Thanks!

Regards,
Gaurav

Dilawar Singh

Jan 13, 2021, 6:53:35 AM1/13/21
to datameet
There is some relevant data in the FOSS report published recently.

Firefox_Screenshot_2021-01-13T11-49-48.288Z.png
A healthy percentage of developers are paid to contribute to FOSS in the world (roughly 50%). India has the lowest percentage. The number of respondents is pretty low here but it goes well with the anecdotal evidences.

--
Dilawar Singh, Ph.D.

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org

Anivar Aravind

Jan 15, 2021, 9:25:17 PM1/15/21
to data...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 4:47 PM gggod...@gmail.com <gggod...@gmail.com> wrote:
Please access report and relevant sources at: https://state-of-foss.in/

As I see you have provided Webservers in India and their Software as source  https://trends.builtwith.com/web-server/country/India
India's Internet = Data localized Internet?