PMGSY Habitations <> OSM rural places data comparison app

Nikhil VJ

May 21, 2022, 2:02:05 PM5/21/22
to datameet
Hi All,

I've created an application where we can compare PMGSY and OSM rural Habitations data:

Right-click on the map to load all habitations for that area (what they call Block).
If you scroll below the first table, You'll find an OSM button - click it to fetch rural places from OSM.
The app will pull those from overpass, then compare with the Habitations data to show nearby and far OSM places.

There's also a feedback layer built : You can submit feedback for a PMGSY Habitation or an OSM place.
(Input side is ready; output side still work to do)
You can copy the browser URL for a permalink - can share it with others and they'll land exactly where you are.

There is an "Edit in OSM" button below the map - clicking that will open up main website OSM Editor, with the block's boundary loaded as guide so that you can map.

There's more we can do with this - one idea is to make this a place where we can link up PMGSY and OSM ids and have feedback flow both ways.
Another is to vet the data and filter out the Habitations that are suitable candidates for a bulk import into OSM.
Scope for integrations too - for example, I just included a cool SOI maps background published by https://ramseraph.github.io/opendata/maps/SOI/

Inviting inputs and collaborations. And the bottom of the application page has a way to contributie if you'd like to support this and such projects.

Tech stack: Backend: Python3 FastAPI
DB: PostGreSQL, same one as in https://github.com/answerquest/import_geosadak

I've also run an analysis on every state > district > block and created a stats CSV which gives numbers of habitations, OSM places, near/far breakup etc. You'll find it in the repo.
This project is a work in progress, so if you're reading this a week or month later, things may have changed.

More Screenshots:

--
Cheers,
Nikhil VJ

akula.g...@gmail.com

May 23, 2022, 6:30:19 AM5/23/22
to datameet
Really excellent work  👏 👏

Venu Kumar Panjarla

May 24, 2022, 12:44:29 AM5/24/22
to datameet
Great work Nikhil !!!

Thanks for Sharing.

Regards,
Venu Panjarla
Open Data Consultant.
https://data.telangana.gov.in/

Jayshree Dutta

May 24, 2022, 12:45:02 AM5/24/22
to data...@googlegroups.com
This is amazing. Keep us updated
--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org

भव्य व्यास

May 30, 2022, 6:13:54 AM5/30/22
to data...@googlegroups.com
Can anyone help me to get Block level forest cover for Gujarat, developed by FSI???

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org