Wardwise population density

blessing isaiah

Apr 18, 2020, 5:00:31 PM4/18/20
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Where can I find wardwise population density data for Bangalore.

Best regards,
Blessing Isaiah

Mitul Jhaveri

Apr 19, 2020, 8:27:27 AM4/19/20
to data...@googlegroups.com
Do we have data on district wise population density?

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org

Suvajit Sengupta

Apr 19, 2020, 9:53:04 AM4/19/20
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Check if it is useful else you have to search in http://censusindia.gov.in/
But its 2011 data, need some extrapolation to derive population in 2019.

Regards,
Suvajit

Mayur PC

Apr 21, 2020, 10:24:37 AM4/21/20
to datameet
Maybe you can use the ward wise voters list to derive ward density. If so there are places you can get voter list like this one for 2015: https://bengaluru.citizenmatters.in/wardwise-list-of-voters-in-bangalore-bbmp-election-2015-7653

blessing isaiah

Apr 22, 2020, 9:18:15 AM4/22/20
to data...@googlegroups.com
No we dont

Sarabjeet Matharu

Apr 28, 2020, 8:36:25 AM4/28/20
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Is anyone compiling district wise population density? If not, I'll start the project and would love inputs from more experienced members of this group.

Do let me know if you're interested. Any suggestions on how to collaborate / track progress would also be welcome.

Thanks,
Sarabjeet

Aalok Sathe

Apr 30, 2020, 9:09:34 AM4/30/20
to datameet
Hi,

I dont know specifically for BLR, but this might be a start:
It might be useful to see code I used to compute the same statistic for Pune wards:

from area import area
def areas(gjson):

A = []

for entry in gjson['features']:

geom = entry['geometry']

A += [area(geom) if geom['type'] == 'Polygon' else 0]

return A

wardcrds = [avg_coords([ward]) for ward in wards['features']] # wards is a geojson object (dict/json)
wardarea = areas(wards)
wardpops = [get_ward_pop(ward['properties']['prabhag'])

for ward in wards['features']]
warddens = np.array([pop/ar for pop, ar in zip(wardpops, wardarea)])

the notebook is linked here: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=00023234941653471825

Approach:
  • Use 2011 census data to get population
  • use an existing geojson mapping of wards
  • Use python package `area` to compute area of the region
example usage and heatmap visualization using leafletJS is available online at: https://punecovidcontain.herokuapp.com/

similar can be done for districts

On Sun, 19 Apr, 2020, 2:30 am blessing isaiah, <blessi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

Where can I find wardwise population density data for Bangalore.

Best regards,
Blessing Isaiah

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org

Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org

Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org

Nishadh K A

May 2, 2020, 12:50:05 AM5/2/20
to datameet
This site https://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu/data/set/gpw-v4-population-density-rev11 provides global population density in ~1km resolution, which can be further used with ward polygon by intersection to get the density.