Data on Railway Passenger Traffic

Rithika Kumar

Jul 15, 2019, 3:45:40 PM7/15/19
to datameet
Dear all,

I had a question regarding the availability of/ access to Railway passenger traffic data. Is this data publicly available? i am looking for the data on origin to destination trips made by passengers on Indian railways. It was used in the Economic Survey, 2017 (Chapter 12: https://www.indiabudget.gov.in/budget2017-2018/es2016-17/echap12.pdf).

Any leads on this will be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Rithika

Nikhil VJ

Jul 16, 2019, 12:12:40 AM7/16/19
to datameet
Hi Rithika,

No answers on my end but sharing more avenues for looking

In case you haven't already, join up and post this query on the Indian rail fans forum: https://www.irfca.org/

Ideas:
- If we take a median / default assumption that all seats are occupied, then one can take the schedules and find out seats capacity in each train and calculate.
- After that, stats from under-capacity running trains would have to be deducted,
- and stats from over-capacity running trains would have to be added.

- ticketing data.. ?

Some links from general searches:
http://www.dw.indianrail.gov.in/dw.asp - data warehouse. Seems like an internal site. Maybe somebody knows somebody who can login?
https://data.gov.in/keywords/indian-railways - not so relevant to original question, but worth keeping a followthatpage watcher on.
https://data.gov.in/catalog/indian-railways-train-time-table-0 - pretty big and important dataset of schedules, and updated fairly recently considering how dated other datasets are - also worth tracking

- Nikhil VJ, Pune, India

Hemant K

Jul 18, 2019, 4:02:27 PM7/18/19
to datameet
Hi Rithika:

Interesting data to look for. I would be interested in it too. Please post back here on what you find.

-Hemant

The Federal Data

Jul 20, 2019, 11:03:20 AM7/20/19
to data...@googlegroups.com
the passenger data(including segmental revenues and passenger KM) can be got from Railways statistics yearbook from MOSPI site

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org

Regards
Venkat

'It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ~ S̶h̶e̶r̶l̶o̶c̶k̶ ̶H̶o̶l̶m̶e̶s̶   Arthur Conan Doyle!

srinivas kodali

Jul 23, 2019, 1:12:21 PM7/23/19
to data...@googlegroups.com
also some aggregated data is published near real-time on rail drishti portal https://www.raildrishti.in/raildrishti/dashboard.jsp

Regards,
Srinivas Kodali

Nishadh K A

Jul 23, 2019, 11:24:14 PM7/23/19
to datameet

The table (table 12) contains zone wise and then different class wise(1 AC, 2 AC, 3 AC, sleeper or second class) passenger carried for those years.
Indian railway has very standardised data publication routine, seems each tables in the report are defined several decades before, the introductory note in the report discuss about that. Unfortunately, the digital data forms(pdf files) are could find for these two period. The pdf files are data readable but need lot of cleanup.

Naraina Damle