Reverse Geocoding

Shivangi Desai

Oct 4, 2022, 2:17:31 AM10/4/22
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hey All,

Wanted to check with you all what is the general consensus on doing Reverse Geocoding (for points in mostly rural parts of India)?

Should we create a self hosted geo server (which exposes REST API) to do this? or
Is it better to use any already available and reliable online REST API service?

We would need boundary hierarchy to be returned, i.e. State, District, Block, Village/City etc.

Any recommendations?

Thanks & Regards,
Shivangi

Dammalapati Sai Krishna

Oct 4, 2022, 2:37:37 AM10/4/22
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hey Shivangi,

I was thinking on creating an API for this. Let me know if you would be interested to work together on this! Or share if you get to know this service already exists :)

Regards,
Sai

Sent from my iPhone

On 04-Oct-2022, at 11:47 AM, Shivangi Desai <shivang...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org

Deepak Sharda

Oct 4, 2022, 3:52:09 AM10/4/22
to data...@googlegroups.com
You can directly get it working from a postgres table. Use pincode layer available with datameet GitHub and run a query point in polygon.

it will work

So steps

1. get pincode layer
2. update in any postgres install postgis
3. run a query ST_intersects(polygon.geom , ST_SetSrid(ST_Make_point(long,lat),4326)

3. use any language python , javascript to make a connection

sreeram kandimalla

Oct 4, 2022, 5:55:02 AM10/4/22
to data...@googlegroups.com
This exists from bhuvan at https://bhuvan-app1.nrsc.gov.in/api/ . Was mentioned in a recent OSM telegram conversation. Only works for Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka right now.

Arun Ganesh

Oct 4, 2022, 11:48:46 AM10/4/22
to data...@googlegroups.com
One quick option using a hosted service is the Mapbox tilequery API https://docs.mapbox.com/playground/tilequery/ which offers 100k free requests per month. Once you upload the data, you can use the tilequery endpoint as an API to request details of the vector feature at any coordinate.

Nikhil VJ

Oct 4, 2022, 11:01:07 PM10/4/22
to datameet
Hi,

In my Pmgsy habitations project i had implemented this in an api call, for the block boundaries data got from pmgsy. Openapi link:

Of course, the boundaries shared by Pmgsy aren't to be taken as official admin boundaries as told by themselves, so pls don't.

I'm on course to add in more datasets and expand this api, esp recent SOI village boundaries and toponyms data.

We could make a centralised server, but then limitations kick in like rate limiting that will make it useless for folks who want to do bulk operations.

Scaling up can only happen if users are willing to pay, but that makes it another paid service, and the output quality won't be refined enough to justify.

For the folks needing bulk ops, how about we make a dockerised recipe-program that people can start up on their systems?

-Nikhil

sreeram kandimalla

Oct 5, 2022, 5:34:28 AM10/5/22
to data...@googlegroups.com
I think this can be run out of a flatgeobuf file hosted on GitHub releases and fly.io free tier container for api.. or the processing can be moved to the client side as a library.

sreeram kandimalla

Oct 5, 2022, 5:54:35 AM10/5/22
to data...@googlegroups.com
Cloudflare R2 is also an option for storage.. zero egress charges.. and yes bulk processing can always be dockerized by the pulling the data and running the code locally.

Shivangi Desai

Oct 7, 2022, 3:32:42 AM10/7/22
to data...@googlegroups.com
Thank you all for the information and suggestions. Will look into it and try figuring it out.
I will need reverse geocoding for the whole of India and might need to call the API atleast 100 times a day!

Thanks,
Shivangi