Looking for list of census village names for CG and MP in Devanagari

Sharad Lele

Feb 2, 2023, 11:17:01 AM2/2/23
to datameet
I am looking for the census village list for Chhattisgarh and Madhya Pradesh (for starters) in Devanagari (Hindi script). Preferably with Census 2011 codes, so that I can quickly match them to the Census dataset, which is in English. But even if no codes attached, an accurate list with tehsil/block and district tags in digital format (not pdf hopefully) will be a big help.

Any suggestions, folks?

Sharad

Sharad Lele

Feb 2, 2023, 1:40:26 PM2/2/23
to datameet
For instance, if someone can scrape the names from this website: https://www.prd.mp.gov.in/GramSearch/SearchPanchayat.aspx  (sequentially, so as to get the district, block and GP tags also)

Nikhil VJ

Feb 3, 2023, 11:41:41 PM2/3/23
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sharad,

The site you linked is quite easy to scrape with basic GET api calls (aka you can open the url in browser also) giving the data in a proper structure that can be directly used by a program.

But : the data is all in English only.

Anyways, in case you want to scrape, can get someone to do using:

Districts list:

Take district ID from there to get local bodies list:
https://www.prd.mp.gov.in/Handlers/localbodies.ashx?DistrictID=45&Is_Rural=1

Take "LBID" from there to get GP Zones:
https://www.prd.mp.gov.in/Handlers/GpZones.ashx?LbId=24319

Note to freshers in python coding who are looking for real world use cases to learn and apply their skills: This is a good starting project.
Make 3 nested for loops and append all the results to a dict (json) array. At end, convert to a pandas dataframe, and output to CSV.
--
Cheers,
Nikhil VJ

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org

Sharad Lele (शरच्चंद्र लेले)

Feb 4, 2023, 12:02:59 AM2/4/23
to data...@googlegroups.com, Nikhil VJ

Dear Nikhil,

Thanks for your help and yes, I assumed (incorrectly) that if the menus are in Hindi then the data will also be in Hindi/Devanagari! Unfortunately, as you pointed, out, the data are still in English/Roman script.

Which means I have to expand my request: any one who can find a website that has village name lists in Hindi/Devanagari (for MP in particular), please flag. If someone has the data already in Devanagari, great!

Sreeram pointed out that the list on the govt of India's LGDIR website has devanagari names for some states, but in the case of MP, the column for names in Devanagari is very sporadically filled!

Sharad

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "datameet" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/datameet/CAH7jeuMKboJCh71j%2Bncfbg%3DSbjpxjUVW4gWHk59VZ-2SKnN_7w%40mail.gmail.com.

Sharad Lele

Feb 4, 2023, 12:31:58 AM2/4/23
to datameet
mndagofkncnplmoa.png
But btw, there is an option on the main PRD website to switch to Hindi, and when I do that, then when I go searching for specific Gram Panchayats, I do get this search menu, which suggests that at the backend somewhere the Hindi lists also exist? Any ideas?

Vivek Matthew

Feb 6, 2023, 11:19:48 AM2/6/23
to datameet
Hi Sharad,

Nice catch regarding the switch to Hindi. The choice of English/Hindi names returned by the server is based on the cookie sent with the request.

I've scraped the village list and put it as a CSV and JSON here: https://gist.github.com/Vonter/dde3c47dfd3ca11e678cea61821aa099

There are 23170 villages in there, but based on my count it looks like there's about a dozen of them without Devanagiri names.

Pradeep Vanga

Feb 12, 2023, 4:37:56 PM2/12/23
to datameet
(Looks like I replied to the author earlier, instead of replying in the thread)

I have also scraped this data a few days back btw https://www.kaggle.com/datasets/vangap/madhya-pradesh-village-list

Vivek, it looks like the CSV file in the gist contains only 12k entries while there should be around 22k+ I think?
Message has been deleted

Vivek Matthew

Feb 12, 2023, 9:45:17 PM2/12/23
to datameet
Hi Pradeep,

The 12k that you're seeing on GitHub seems to be a limitation with the number of lines of a single gist that can render on the web interface. The raw CSV file when downloaded should contain the 22k+ lines you're looking for: https://gist.githubusercontent.com/Vonter/dde3c47dfd3ca11e678cea61821aa099/raw/ba6b45cfcd8f1e7f17ef038ac1a08a70410630e0/villages.csv

Regards,
Vivek

On Monday, 13 February 2023 at 03:08:09 UTC+5:30 Pradeep Vanga wrote:
Hi Vivek, it looks like the csv file contains only about 12k+ entries.

(It looks like I replied to the author and not this thread earlier, I have also scraped the data and uploaded it here :)  https://www.kaggle.com/datasets/vangap/madhya-pradesh-village-list )

Pradeep Vanga

Feb 24, 2023, 4:10:37 AM2/24/23
to datameet