New to Cytoscape App Dev - Debug problems!

Martín Laguna Jordán

Sep 7, 2021, 5:21:25 PM9/7/21
to cytoscape-app-dev
Hi all,

I'm interested in developing Cytoscape apps and I've trying to use this guide to setup everything that I need: http://www.cgl.ucsf.edu/home/scooter/Cytoscape3DevTut/slides.pdf

I've encountered an issue while trying to debug using cytoscape.bat debug
When trying to click on Debug inside Eclipse, I get the following error:
a.png
I'd appreciate any help/mentoring/teaching/tutoring developing Cytoscape Apps!
Thanks in advance!
- Martín Laguna Jordán

Christopher Churas

Sep 8, 2021, 12:02:20 PM9/8/21
to cytoscap...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

From the screenshot it looks like you are using Java 16 which is not supported. Try java 11.

chris

Martín Laguna Jordán

Sep 8, 2021, 4:28:53 PM9/8/21
to cytoscape-app-dev
Thank you! It worked!

It seems odd that an older version has to be installed, are there plans on updating Java on Cytoscape or am I missing something?
Let me know! And surely I'll be asking around here again, if anyone can show me some resources or tutorials to make Cytoscape app development I'd appreciate it very much.

Thanks again!
- Martín Laguna Jordán

Alex Pico

Sep 8, 2021, 5:03:54 PM9/8/21
to cytoscape-app-dev
We target staying up-to-date with long-term support (LTS) releases of Java. 16 is not LTS; 11 is the current LTS. Refer to the table here: https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/java-se-support-roadmap.html.

We will target Java 17 for the Cytoscape 3.10 release next year, for example.

 - Alex

Martín Laguna Jordán

Sep 8, 2021, 6:09:13 PM9/8/21
to cytoscape-app-dev
Of course, very noob of me, thank you for the explanation.