Ipswich Central Connected Town vision

Leo Borwick

Mar 15, 2021, 10:54:38 AM3/15/21
to cycle-...@googlegroups.com

They are talking about a "15-minute city" approach, where everything you need is within 15 minutes walk or cycle.  However they confuse the issue a bit by also talking about a 15-minute drive time catchment area for visitors.  Particular focus on the "Ipswich Vision Area", formed from a triangle of railway station, waterfront and Christchurch Park - also all about 15 mins apart.

From my perspective, there is welcome mention of the current disconnectedness of cycle and walking routes into and around the centre, but a frustrating lack of clarity about what needs to be done about these things or recognition that designing around car use is at the root of the problems.  Similarly, although they refer to the application of the 15 min city principles currently in Paris under Mayor Hidalgo, they omit to mention that building 100s of km of cycle infrastructure and turning over iconic central routes to cycling, walking and greenery is central to their programme.

Leo

Chris Taylor

Mar 15, 2021, 5:19:53 PM3/15/21
to cycle-...@googlegroups.com
Hi leo,

yes i agree with your comments re lack of cycling infrastructure mention.
It strikes me that with a move towards a more cycling and walking culture its the sort of document that is crying out
to have Cycle Ipswich's logo on the back page in amongst the big boys...has there been any dialogue with Ipswich Vision?

...Chris

David Penny

Mar 15, 2021, 7:38:07 PM3/15/21
to cycle-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,
We do keep trying different avenues in with the cycling and walking charter and I did attend the recent webinar on the new town deal on behalf of Cycle Ipswich. We are largely ignored but will persist!
Dave

Sent from my iPhone