Maps uploading problem

Lesz Pest

Mar 28, 2022, 10:02:19 AM3/28/22
to Custom Maps users
Hello,
First of all, I think the application works very well and I am very happy with it.

But there is a problem with the latest version. It concerns the transfer of maps to the internal memory, to which maps are not available and cannot be changed. This causes great difficulty, I will give an example.

It has a few or even a dozen maps and it took some work not to configure them properly. I have a backup of them so as not to do the whole process again (backup of the entire application directory). When I want to give all these maps to my friend or, for example, my father or brother, I upload the entire catalog to his phone (using a computer) and everything is immediately on his phone. After the last update, it cannot be done anymore and it is a very big inconvenience. I admit that even import and export will not be as convenient as simply uploading files to the phone and everything works right away. Can you restore map files to available memory?  It seems to me that this is the most convenient solution, despite the fact that you have to give the application permission to the files.

If this is not possible, then I have a different question. I found the latest version of the application that allows you to upload files. I downloaded it from this site: https://apkpure.com/custom-maps/com.custommapsapp.android/versions

Are these versions safe? It is you who provide these versions of the application on that website? If not, can you send me the latest version that allows uploading maps?

Best regards,
Leszek

Marko Teittinen

Mar 28, 2022, 9:53:55 PM3/28/22
to Lesz Pest, Custom Maps users
Hey Leszek,

Thanks for contacting me, and I'm happy you like my app.

Unfortunately I have bad news for you about map management in the app. The change to store the maps into internal memory out of reach of file manager apps and others was required by a change in Google Play Store publishing rules. I would've preferred to keep everything as is, but that is not possible. So there will be no return to the old setup.

I hope you know that you can import individual maps using a file manager app (I know that Google's "Files" app works, and Samsung's "My Files" app doesn't work). You can just tap the map you need to use, and the app imports it into its internal storage. The next version will include an option to import all maps in a single directory which should reduce the amount of tapping required to import maps one by one.

And about your final question: I have nothing to do with the versions of Custom Maps hosted on sites other than Google Play. They may or may not match the released version. I think it might be possible to copy the original files from rooted phones when they are installed, but I don't know at all where those files have come from. ApkPure seems to claim on their website that the files are exactly the same ones as on Google Play store, so maybe they are. But I didn't upload them there.

Marko Teittinen
Author of Custom Maps