Migrating maps comment

Andrew

Nov 5, 2021, 8:37:19 PM11/5/21
to custom-m...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your prompt reply to my google comment about not being able to access my previous maps.

I am using Android 10 on a Samsung S20FE.

In responce; Your suggestion didn't work. Version 1.7.1 had full storage access permission when I updated to 1.8.1 but the maps did not migrate. I believe this is because 1.8.1 doesn't have storage access permission when it is installed.

I have worked out that, I can access my maps by instslling 1.7.1 then updating to 1.8.1 then giving 1.8.1 permission to access my storage before first starting 1.8.1, then my maps migrate and work in 1.8.1. But, if I try giving permission after first starting 1.8.1 then it never finds my maps and never migrates them.

I will stay using 1.7.1 and all my previous and newly created maps will be visable in my internal storage. I am not wanting to lose my newly created maps in the apps private storage, which would be deleted if I uninstalled the app for any reason.

In conclusion, I don't want my created maps in your apps private storage and I don't mind giving your app permission to access my storage.

Thanks
Andrew
sent from a galaxy fan

Marko Teittinen

Nov 5, 2021, 8:53:45 PM11/5/21
to Andrew, Custom Maps users
Andrew,

Thanks for letting me know how you solved your issue with the missing maps.

But I don't recommend staying with version 1.7.1. Due to Google Play Store rules, no future version can include permission to read external files. Version 1.8.1 will even be the only one to be able to migrate the maps automatically. Any later version cannot touch the CustomMaps directory on the SD card in any way (again, Play Store rules, not mine). But this also means that no future version will request permission to access external storage for reading or writing.

I have improved the file opening capabilities of Custom Maps, so that many file managers like Google Files (but unfortunately not Samsung "My Files") can open the map files in Custom Maps just by tapping on them. At that time the map gets copied into the internal storage of Custom Maps, but the original is left untouched. Also maps stored in Google Drive can be opened using the Google Drive app. So you could move your map collection into a Google Drive folder, and then load the maps from there into Custom Maps when you need them. Then you don't need to worry about losing your maps.

There is also an additional benefit of having the maps in the app's internal storage. If you want to move Custom Maps off your internal storage to SD card, now the maps move there with the app. Previously the maps were always stored in the emulated external storage (which in practice is public internal storage).

Also, Custom Maps 1.8.1 now has a menu option "Export all maps" in the map list. That menu item allows you to transfer all currently available maps from the internal storage to Google Drive or some other app for safekeeping. I've tried to make this change less disruptive by adding these options for importing and exporting the maps stored in the app.

Marko Teittinen
Author of Custom Maps

Andrew

Nov 6, 2021, 1:52:29 PM11/6/21
to Marko Teittinen, Custom Maps users
Hi Marko

I have left a 5 star review now. I can't edit or delete my old review probably because I have uninstalled the app and reinstalled it many times now.

I have attached a screenshot that you have written 'No maps found on SD card in Custom Maps folder'. This appears when I start 1.8.1 without giving it storage permission. May I suggest that you change those words to say something like you mentioned in your email below 'many file managers like Google Files (but unfortunately not Samsung "My Files") can open the map files in Custom Maps'

So, after reading your email; I uninstalled 1.7.1. Then installed 1.8.1 from the play store. I use 'File Manager +' and so was able to load all my maps from the Custom Map folder into 1.8.1. By doing this, I do not need to change or give any permission to your app.

Because of your 'Export all maps' feature I was able to export to 'File Manager +' and so save directly to my internal memory.

So, I am now happy that I won't lose any of my maps, even if I uninstall your app.

Thanks again for your help with this.

Andrew
sent from a galaxy fan
11-06_15:46:30.png

Jan Kriström

Nov 6, 2021, 3:04:53 PM11/6/21
to Custom Maps users
Hi, sorry. I don't underderstand how to solve the problem. All my maps (KMZ-files) are in the "CustomsMaps" folder but not found by the app after after automatic upgrade. How to get my Samsung S20 to access my maps?

Marko Teittinen

Nov 6, 2021, 3:15:28 PM11/6/21
to Jan Kriström, Custom Maps users
Jan,

Sorry about that. It seems Samsung phones remove the storage access permission when the app is updated to 1.8.1. Google Play Store rules require me to move all maps to the internal storage of the app instead of using the "public" internal storage on the phone.

All your maps are in a folder named CustomMaps in the phone's internal public storage. Not under Downloads, but "next to"  (at the same hierarchy level as) Downloads. There are two ways you can get them back:
  1. Open Google Files and navigate to the CustomMaps folder in the internal storage. Then tap each of the map files (they have .kmz extension) and they should open in Custom Maps. Other file managers may work, but unfortunately Samsung's "My Files" does not understand kmz extension and cannot be used.
  2. Uninstall Custom Maps app. Then reinstall it and before opening the app, give Custom Maps storage access permission by long pressing its icon and selecting "App info". Once it has been granted storage access permission, open Custom Maps and it will automatically migrate all the maps into the internal storage of the app.
Again, sorry about the trouble.

Marko Teittinen
Author of Custom Maps