Next Crystal Team Live Q&A Session

Serdar Doğruyol

Mar 6, 2018, 5:50:25 AM3/6/18
to Crystal

To the awesome Crystal community :) We heard your call!

The Crystal team will be happy to have another live Q&A session, however it's a coordinated effort from both the team and the community, that's why we'd like to hear your opinion on when it's a good time to have the next live Q&A session. Please feel free to share your ideas about what might be a good time :)

Bar Hofesh

Mar 6, 2018, 6:08:13 AM3/6/18
to Crystal
Great move!

I think most of the Crystal community is in Europe? maybe we can find a time where it ok for everyone

I would love anything 09:00-15:00 or 20:30-00:00 GMT+2

Carlos Donderis

Mar 6, 2018, 8:53:57 AM3/6/18
to Crystal
First of all, it is great to read that this is going to happen!
Really looking forward to ^^

As for the time, speaking for myself, any time is fine.

I guess that since most of the core team is located on Buenos Aires (at least I think that is the location for Manas tech)  I guess UTC -3?

But also, as it was pointed out int he previous post, I think it is important to understand where the mot of the Crystal community is located so this Q&A can maximize the audience.

Tim Uckun

Mar 6, 2018, 5:50:27 PM3/6/18
to crysta...@googlegroups.com
When we were discussing the hangout it was apparent that the community is scattered pretty good across the world.  I am in New Zealand for example.

Jack Thorne

Mar 7, 2018, 2:26:35 PM3/7/18
to Crystal
I am in Chicago UTC -6
What platform are you considering for the Q&A session?

Cheers,
Jack

On Tuesday, March 6, 2018 at 12:50:25 PM UTC+2, Serdar Doğruyol wrote:

To the awesome Crystal community :) We heard your call!

The Crystal team will be happy to have another live Q&A session, however it's a coordinated effort from both the team and the community, that's why we'd like to hear your opinion on when it's a good time to have the next live Q&A session. Please feel free to share your ideas about what might be a good time :)

Carlos Donderis

Mar 7, 2018, 7:19:50 PM3/7/18
to Crystal
I'm in Tokyo, so it would be UTC+9

But as I said before, I'm happy to catch up at anytime

Carlos Donderis

May 11, 2018, 10:26:32 PM5/11/18
to Crystal
Any news on this? :)

Faustino Aguilar

May 13, 2018, 7:53:49 PM5/13/18
to Crystal
Yeah, any news? Would be nice to have some Q&A again :-)

Nicolas di Tada

May 14, 2018, 5:24:23 PM5/14/18
to crysta...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the nudge! We’ll have a date next week.

Faustino Aguilar

May 15, 2018, 1:10:04 AM5/15/18
to Crystal
Thank you! :-)

Serdar Doğruyol

Jun 5, 2018, 6:04:13 PM6/5/18
to Crystal
Hey everyone,

We've decided to make the next Crystal Team Live Q&A Session on Tue Jun 12 14:00 UTC.

If you have any questions, please ask on this thread. We'll try to answer them in the live session :)

P.S: We may take more questions on the live session.

Best,
Serdar

Carlos Donderis

Jun 11, 2018, 7:36:51 PM6/11/18
to Crystal
Not sure if this is the right thread since no questions were asked here. Still here I go.

First of all, thanks for the hard work. I personally think that Crystal is an amazing language that "just feels right".
This being said here are some questions:

- Regarding Crystal's roadmap, can we get an update?
- Providing that better compilation time, windows support and parallelism are still in the roadmap for 1.0, and considering that in order to build those features, the language internals might have to go through a lot of changes, do you think that keep focusing on the std lib (which is getting better and better btw), is the right approach?
- Are you considering to make the documentation regarding the compiler and the internals of the language more accessible so that maybe, people outside the core team can work on it? I mean, Crystal is open source, so anyone can just grab the code and try to make sense of it, but since it seems to be a rather complex piece of code extra documentation might be a good thing.

There are more things I would like to ask but I think 3 questions are more than enough.

Just wanted to say that I went to the last RubyKaigi and it was interesting because of a lot of teams are working on type checking for Ruby and JIT compilation while Crystal provides all that shaped beautifully and most of you guys have been working on this great language only on your spare time.

So again, big thanks

Faustino Aguilar

Jun 12, 2018, 6:43:26 AM6/12/18
to Crystal
Looks like all startups get a lot of money (Gatsby Example Here) WDYT about turn crystal into a startup?