AES ARM slow on M1

Sam Van Gucht

Mar 31, 2023, 1:44:41 AM3/31/23
to Crypto++ Users
Hi everyone,

We noticed AES GCM in significant slower on M1 compare to an Intel Mac. Encrypting a 100mb files takes ~130ms on Intel Mac & while on M1 it takes ~510ms.

Are the ARMv8 Cryptographic instructions not supported?

Best regards,
Sam
Message has been deleted

Jeffrey Walton

Apr 25, 2023, 10:39:34 PM4/25/23
to Crypto++ Users
The Clang compiler provided by Apple is crippled. It does not provide the intrinsics needed for the multiplies.

The fix is to use inline assembly. Apple compilers support the mnemonics.

I don't have access to an Apple ARMv8 and M1 machines any longer. I donated the one I bought to the GCC Compile Farm. They loaded Debian on it.

Jeff

Uri Blumenthal

Apr 26, 2023, 4:42:04 AM4/26/23
to cryptop...@googlegroups.com
If you have the code with  inline assembly for MacOS M1, I can test it.

On Apr 25, 2023, at 22:39, Jeffrey Walton <nolo...@gmail.com> wrote:

Message has been deleted