HIGHT/CTR mode selft tests are failing

Jeffrey Walton

Sep 28, 2023, 1:10:03 PM9/28/23
to Crypto++ Users
Hi Everyone,

HIGHT/CTR mode self tests are failing. The failures began when we added more self tests due to GH #1231, <https://github.com/weidai11/cryptopp/issues/1231>.

We are tracking the issue at <https://github.com/weidai11/cryptopp/issues/1234>.

Jeff

One Sini

Sep 28, 2023, 1:42:08 PM9/28/23
to cryptop...@googlegroups.com

The issue you're encountering with Crypto++ 8.8.0, where the CryptoPP::RabbitWithIV algorithm behaves unexpectedly when inString is equal to outString, appears to be a potential problem in the library. This behavior should not occur, as the ProcessData function should allow the use of the same memory address for both inString and outString.

It's possible that this is a bug in Crypto++ version 8.8.0, or it could be an implementation issue in your use of the library that was tolerated in an older version of Crypto++ but no longer works in the latest version.

To isolate the issue and potentially find a solution, you can take the following steps:

  1. Check the Documentation: Review the official Crypto++ documentation and release notes for version 8.8.0 to see if there are known issues or changes that might affect the use of CryptoPP::RabbitWithIV.

  2. Examine the Crypto++ GitHub Repository: Explore the Crypto++ GitHub repository and look for open issues that might be related to this problem. The issue may have already been identified, and there could be suggestions or solutions.

  3. Verify Configuration: Ensure that your development environment and configuration are set up correctly. Sometimes compiler flags or build settings can lead to unexpected behavior.

  4. Build a Minimal Application: You've already provided a minimal application that reproduces the issue, which is a good approach. Make sure the minimal application is correct and that the issue indeed occurs in Crypto++ 8.8.0.

  5. Create a GitHub Issue: If you are confident that this is a problem with Crypto++ 8.8.0 that is not related to your usage of the library, create a new GitHub issue in the Crypto++ repository and describe the problem, expected results, and actual results. This will allow the developers to identify and address the issue.

  6. Consider Downgrading: If this issue is hindering your work and there is no immediate solution available, consider temporarily reverting to a more stable version of Crypto++ (e.g., 8.6.0) until the problem is resolved.

It's essential to note that working on cryptographic software is highly sensitive due to security considerations. If you are unsure or believe this is a more critical issue, reach out to the Crypto++ community and developers for assistance

Jeffrey Walton

Sep 28, 2023, 1:46:02 PM9/28/23
On Thu, Sep 28, 2023 at 1:42 PM One Sini <one...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The issue you're encountering with Crypto++ 8.8.0, where the CryptoPP::RabbitWithIV algorithm behaves unexpectedly when inString is equal to outString, appears to be a potential problem in the library. This behavior should not occur, as the ProcessData function should allow the use of the same memory address for both inString and outString.

ChatGPT?

We are talking about HIGHT/CTR mode, not Rabbit or RabbitWithIV.

Jeff

One Sini

Sep 28, 2023, 1:57:03 PM9/28/23
to cryptop...@googlegroups.com