Internet connection required for COMET search

Tim Fugmann

Sep 6, 2020, 5:44:19 AM9/6/20
to crux-users

Hi,
When starting COMET search, internet connection is required. Comet does not run through when internet is at this moment not available. I guess this is only because of update check. Any possibility to avoid this? It is annoying to have stopped analyses when internet is off at some point.
Thanks
Tim

Jimmy Eng

Sep 6, 2020, 11:51:17 AM9/6/20
to Tim Fugmann, crux-users
Tim,

This was a bug in Comet that was addressed in June 2018.  Use an updated version of Crux to avoid the issue.

Jimmy

Charles E Grant

Sep 6, 2020, 12:11:30 PM9/6/20
to Tim Fugmann, crux-users, Jimmy Eng
Hi Tim,

Just to expand on Jimmy’s comments: this was fixed in Crux in June 2018, after the last major release (3.2). To obtain the most recent build, go to the Crux download page (http://crux.ms/download.html) and select the download type you want. At the bottom of the page there are two buttons: one for the 3.2 release and one for the most recent build. Click on the button for the most recent build.

Charles
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/crux-users/CAJqD6EORiJpQtmEL_CxLNY4YSh01vctOE-bQXtSE2sm-jaQutg%40mail.gmail.com.

Tim Fugmann

Sep 6, 2020, 4:18:34 PM9/6/20
to crux-users
Hi Jimmy, Chalres,

Thanks for the quick feedback!

I only recently downloaded crux - the following version infos are provided:
Crux version 3.2-e786b8b
====================
Comet version 2018.01 rev. 0

I am wondering why there was no more recent comet provided. I am running crux on Win64, is this an issue?

Many thanks and best wishes,
Tim

Charles E Grant

Sep 6, 2020, 9:40:02 PM9/6/20
to Tim Fugmann, crux-users
Hi Tim,

It looks like you have an older version. There are two buttons on the download page. The bottom one is labeled “I agree to the licensing terms, download the most recent build of Crux”. Be sure to click that one. When you type ‘crux version’ you should see the following information:

INFO: Beginning version.
====================
Crux version 3.2
====================
Proteowizard version 3.0.20241
====================
Percolator version 3.05.nightly-1-e16f49a, Build Date Aug 28 2020 13:40:34
Copyright (c) 2006-9 University of Washington. All rights reserved.
Written by Lukas Käll (luk...@u.washington.edu) in the
Department of Genome Sciences at the University of Washington.
====================
Comet version 2018.01 rev. 2
====================
Boost version 1_67
====================
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/crux-users/05b7d642-f3e3-43f4-96b6-589493627674n%40googlegroups.com.

Tim Fugmann

Sep 7, 2020, 4:39:59 AM9/7/20
to crux-users
Hi Charles,
Thanks, looks really similar, but good if the bug is fixed!
Are there any plans to integrate newer comet builds?
Best wishes,
Tim

Charles E Grant

Sep 8, 2020, 3:24:09 PM9/8/20
to Tim Fugmann, crux-users
Hi Tim,

> On Sep 7, 2020, at 1:39 AM, Tim Fugmann <tim...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Are there any plans to integrate newer comet builds?

We hope to release a new version of Crux using Comet 2019.01 rev. 5 in the next month or so.

Charles