Moon and planet Venus

William Bottaci

Oct 10, 2021, 2:56:12 PM10/10/21
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
The view to the southwest this evening, the Moon and planet Venus.
Yesterday they were much closer but it wasn't clear.
Venus is between the two floodlights of the stadium, just over half way between the Moon and the top of the towers of Croydon Central.

Mobile handset, handheld:  6 mm, ISO 200, 1/33 sec at f/2.4 (like I set all these before taking the exposure - no, it's just what they happen to be).

William

=Moon-Venus_2021-10-10_18-40_MSc120.jpg (191K)=
Moon-Venus_2021-10-10_18-40_MSc120.jpg

JR

Oct 10, 2021, 3:35:55 PM10/10/21
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
That's a really great image William.

The composition is spot on, with a real sense and scale of being there, observing at sunset, not to mention the more or less symmetrical framing of the two floodlight towers and the rule of thirds with the dark ground and the position of the moon (just out of the clouds)

I don't know how you managed no handshake at 1/33rd.  Surely it was on a tripod??

That is some mobile camera to get exposure that captures Venus, bright, and at the same time, low enough some to get surface detail of the moon.  It's not a composite is it?

Epic

James

Sent from my iPad

On 10 Oct 2021, at 19:56, William Bottaci <w.bo...@gmail.com> wrote:

<Moon-Venus_2021-10-10_18-40_MSc120.jpg>

trevsie7

Oct 10, 2021, 3:44:42 PM10/10/21
to 'J R' via croydonastro
A very nice image William

tcos...@gmail.com

Oct 11, 2021, 4:01:13 AM10/11/21
to croydo...@googlegroups.com

I agree that’s a really nice image William. Well done.

Modern mobile phone cameras and software are really excellent at handling low light conditions. I’ve noticed that even my old, battered iPhone 6s does a better job than my Canon DSLR (although that’s quite old now too) and the new phones are even better.

Tim C

Kevin Phillips

Oct 11, 2021, 8:47:21 AM10/11/21
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
Love how William captures the moment.

Nov 8, 2021, 7:38:05 AM11/8/21
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you all for the replies.
James, 1/33rd second is not so impressive as the view is wide (and I never mentioned how many I took to get just one good shot :).
Most definitely not a composite. In fact the Moon appears better on other shots, but this one has better composition, which I wasn’t consciously aware of. That and other features - I always seem to get better results when I don’t know what I'm doing!

Tim, the mobile handset, a Samsung Galaxy Note2, is now 2½ years old, whereas my Canon dSLR is a year 2013 model, the one I've used for the wide field views of the Milky Way in Cygnus, but there I stack 50 images with dark frames. At the last count, 45,897 shots taken. A secret so just between us two, I reject many of these.
William

On Mon, 11 Oct 2021 at 09:01, <tcos...@gmail.com> wrote:
I agree that’s a really nice image William. Well done.
Modern mobile phone cameras and software are really excellent at handling low light conditions. I’ve noticed that even my old, battered iPhone 6s does a better job than my Canon DSLR (although that’s quite old now too) and the new phones are even better.
Tim C

On Sun, 10 Oct 2021 at 20:44, trevsie7 <trevs...@gmail.com> wrote:
A very nice image William

On Sun, 10 Oct 2021 at 20:35, 'JR' via croydonastro <croydo...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
That's a really great image William.

The composition is spot on, with a real sense and scale of being there, observing at sunset, not to mention the more or less symmetrical framing of the two floodlight towers and the rule of thirds with the dark ground and the position of the moon (just out of the clouds)

I don't know how you managed no handshake at 1/33rd.  Surely it was on a tripod??

That is some mobile camera to get exposure that captures Venus, bright, and at the same time, low enough some to get surface detail of the moon.  It's not a composite is it?
Epic
James

2021-10-10

The view to the southwest this evening, the Moon and planet Venus.
Yesterday they were much closer but it wasn't clear.
Venus is between and above the two floodlights of the stadium, just over half way between the Moon and the top of the towers of Croydon Central.
Moon-Venus_2021-10-10_18-40_MSc120.jpg