Partial eclipse of the sun today

JR

Jun 10, 2021, 10:22:05 AM6/10/21
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
We had a brief bright and cloudless spell this morning from out of the 100% gloom, at about 8:45. That then disappeared but by some miracle things improved to a degree after the eclipse began, a few minutes after 10am. Small blue patches in just the right place left the sun visible for a few seconds.

Visual observing naked eye through solar safety film, including at maximum, gave a good sense of occasion despite the unobliging sky. I struggled to get clear images and focusing was a nightmare. It was then a question of fingers on buzzers and hoping. I tried many times but managed only one 200 frame sequence more or less free of clouds.

I combined a prominence image from the pre 9am clear spell shortly before the eclipse began, with the one surface image. Processing was in Autostakkert 3 to stack video frames and using Photoshop to combine the two images perhaps not as expertly as might be possible.

The crop is the larger prominence, more spectacular than anything recent and perhaps the more interesting image.

Lunt 60 Ha 500mm/f8.3 using Sharpcap at gain of 50 on a ZWO asi178 mono, running at about 54fps with 2.4ms exposures for the surface and at 45ms and 18fps (I think) for the prominences.

James

image1.jpeg
image3.jpeg

trevsie7

Jun 10, 2021, 1:42:11 PM6/10/21
to 'J R' via croydonastro
Amazing images James. You were a lot luckier than me, not a clear patch in sight just a slight thinning cloud about 1130 for a brief glimpse of a retreating moon.

tcos...@gmail.com

Jun 10, 2021, 3:48:46 PM6/10/21
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
Great image James!

JR

Jun 10, 2021, 4:45:54 PM6/10/21
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks very much Tim & Trevor. I looked out first thing and thought it was all no go with heavy cloud everywhere and couldn't quite believe it when the sun was suddenly showing.

James

Sent from my iPad

> On 10 Jun 2021, at 20:48, tcos...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> Great image James!
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/croydonastro/008501d75e31%249ddaf560%24d990e020%24%40gmail.com.

tcos...@gmail.com

Jun 10, 2021, 5:45:53 PM6/10/21
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
Would you mind if I shared your image on my Facebook page please James? I would obviously credit you as the author but it would be nice to share to a slightly wider audience who would not have seen a solar image like that before.
Thanks
Tim
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/croydonastro/058CDDA2-705B-4224-B7DF-AECF923D0D20%40aol.com.

JR

Jun 11, 2021, 7:30:06 AM6/11/21
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tim

No problem. I'm very happy for you to share the images.

James

Sent from my iPad

> On 10 Jun 2021, at 22:45, tcos...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> Would you mind if I shared your image on my Facebook page please James? I would obviously credit you as the author but it would be nice to share to a slightly wider audience who would not have seen a solar image like that before.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/croydonastro/008601d75e41%24fb5b7880%24f2126980%24%40gmail.com.

William Bottaci

Jun 12, 2021, 10:33:23 AM6/12/21
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
Hello James, you did very well, in terms of both being open to catch this and the quality of the images - some nice fine detail. And that's a splendid prominence, which of course required its own treatment.
Well worth taking the chance and effort, and thanks for sharing,
William

JR

Jun 13, 2021, 8:25:13 AM6/13/21
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you William.

Part of the attraction of solar astronomy for me was that the sun shines a lot in the Summer.  How naive was I?

Sent from my iPad