Huge Chinese rocket falling back to Earth in uncontrolled reentry | The Independent

Ian Mathers

May 9, 2021, 1:29:29 PM5/9/21
to croydonastro
https://www.independent.co.uk/space/china-rocket-space-reentry-earth-b1841425.html

If you haven't seen this, watch.  Spielberg eat your heart out,

Tony Roberts

May 10, 2021, 6:10:27 AM5/10/21
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
BBC News reports rocket broke up on reentry on Sunday at about 02:24 and impacted in Indian Ocean near Maldives. No reports of debris hitting land or sea so it managed to miss anywhere with people.
China had planned a controlled reentry but systems on the rocket failed.
America has been very critical of China over this due to the obvious danger, a little unfair as those of us who remember Skylab's reentry will remember that there was no prediction of when or where that would arrive.

Tony.

Sent from my iPad

On 9 May 2021, at 18:29, Ian Mathers <ikmat...@gmail.com> wrote:

https://www.independent.co.uk/space/china-rocket-space-reentry-earth-b1841425.html

If you haven't seen this, watch.  Spielberg eat your heart out,

colin.naomi

May 12, 2021, 12:49:48 PM5/12/21
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
And some bits of Skylab landed on land in Australia, if I remember rightly, though no casualties.

I think (does anyone out there know better?) there's yet to be a definite known human fatality from either spacecraft debris reentering, or from a meteorite [though there were certainly injuries and widespread property damage from the big one that came in over Russia in 2013].

There's always going to be a danger of something going wrong in any rocket launch, so I agree it's a bit of a cheap shot for the Americans to try and use the story for more China-bashing.

Cheers,

Colin

Ian Mathers

May 12, 2021, 1:52:08 PM5/12/21
to croydonastro
Thanks Colin.  You will also recall Kosmos 954 for which Canada recovered $3 million for clean-up costs.

Ian

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/croydonastro/7150b242.1103.179617bfd54.Webtop.95%40btinternet.com.

William Bottaci

May 13, 2021, 7:17:41 AM5/13/21
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
Hello Colin, I can't add to your comment on human fatalities; I think it's more or less as you say.

If I can add to the descent of the Chinese last stage rocket re-entry, I've heard that the rocket had a system for controlled descent, in that it could align itself and fire retro-rockets to control the re-entry towards say the Pacific Ocean, but that system failed. There's no easy way to verify this, it may not be true but probably an embarrassment for the Chinese if it was the case.

It is presumed that China has the technology for controlled descents, and there are easy ways of doing this as well, but if they had no such contingency then some criticism, wherever the source, seems valid; it's not just from the US. Unfortunately criticism is usually the only way to get a result. Last year debris from another Long March rocket fell on villages in the Ivory Coast, causing structural damage but no injuries or deaths.
At least it wasn't left up there.
William