Markarian's Chain

timc

May 16, 2021, 12:38:11 PM5/16/21
to croydonastro

Attached is an image of Markarian’s Chain of galaxies in the heart of the Virgo Galaxy Cluster.  The chain of galaxies stretches from M84 to NGC 4477 and according to Wiki, the chain was named after the Armenian astrophysicist Benjamin Markarian, who discovered their common motion in the early 1960s.  The image consists of the following sub-exposures: L 21x120s unbinned; RGB 16x120s all binned x2, giving a total exposure time of 2 hours 18 minutes.  I took the images on the night of 6 March 2021 from my back-garden observatory in Oxted.   I used a Takahashi FSQ85 ED (3.5 inch) refractor operating at f/5.3 mounted on a Paramount MX using a Moravian G2 8300 cooled CCD camera and Lodestar 2 guide camera.  Image capture was done with Maxim DL and I used CCD Stack2 and Photoshop CS5 for further processing and annotation.  Thanks for looking.

Tim C

Markarians Chain Tak85 BB MG2 8300 May 2021 Final.jpg

JR

May 16, 2021, 4:14:26 PM5/16/21
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
What a great image Tim.

Is it me?  I only seem to have an annotated version and it would be good to see the original as well.

James

Sent from my iPad

[...]

tcos...@gmail.com

May 17, 2021, 3:39:10 PM5/17/21
to croydo...@googlegroups.com

Thank you James. My fault for not posting a clean version without labels. Attached now for your delectation and delight!

Cheers

Tim

Markarians Chain Tak85 BB MG2 8300 Maty 2021 Final no annotations.jpg

JR

May 18, 2021, 3:00:33 AM5/18/21
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks very much Tim.  It's a fabulous image with so much content.  Every time you look at it there's another fuzzy.

Thanks for sharing

James

Sent from my iPad

On 17 May 2021, at 20:39, tcos...@gmail.com wrote:

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/croydonastro/1664e01d74b54%243bb0d660%24b3128320%24%40gmail.com.
<Markarians Chain Tak85 BB MG2 8300 Maty 2021 Final no annotations.jpg>

trevsie7

May 18, 2021, 4:27:41 PM5/18/21
to 'J R' via croydonastro
Very nice image Tim.  It is amazing how many galaxies there are in the Leo/Virgo regions.