supported authentication mechanisms asyncio vs. twisted?

pe...@koodaamo.fi

Nov 30, 2016, 2:03:49 AM11/30/16
to Crossbar
I need to go into production with autobahn-python clients and a crossbar router.

I expected that there'd be sufficient authentication methods available to do that, given the docs on crossbar.io site and the ability of crossbar & autobahn to run both on asyncio & twisted.

After running into a wall trying to use TLS client certificate auth on asyncio, I realized this was a major oversight on my part. After starting to look for alternatives, I realized ALL the auth examples seem to be for twisted.

Please, which of the stated authentication methods (in crossbar.io docs) ARE known to work well also on asyncio, to connect to crossbar router for purposes of using WAMP? Is there documentation somewhere on this?

If asyncio is overall a second-class citizen what it comes to auth (or something else), it would be good to openly warn users of that.

Gareth Bult

Nov 30, 2016, 8:11:51 PM11/30/16
to Crossbar
Although I can't help you with asyncio, I would second a "user experiences" arena with regards to which choices work well in which circumstances.
(things like "don't use the crossbar file upload service" would have saved me a lot of time ... ;)  )

Maybe no consolation, but if you're tempted to switch (!) I'm using "wampcra" for user/password Auth, "ticket" for oAuth, and "client cert/TLS" for Micro-service connections .. works flawlessly on twisted in CPython3.

David Ford

Nov 30, 2016, 8:17:09 PM11/30/16
to Crossbar
i exclusively use asyncio with numerous projects and while i've not used TLS auth before, i do use ticket + cookie auth everywhere. the auth code is entirely the same just like any of the other procedural syntax. the only difference is decoration with @inline or @asyncio and yield/return forms. all other aspects are entirely the same