what version of crossbar for lazy Ubuntu 16.04 admin?

Dante Lorenso

Jun 26, 2017, 11:01:58 PM6/26/17
to Crossbar
I followed the guide to installing Crossbar.io on Ubuntu 16.04 here:

Now it says I have:

  Crossbar.io: 0.13.2

But this looks like it might be very far behind in versioning from the v17+ that I've seen recently announced on this list.  Should I be running this version of crossbar, or am I encouraged to upgrade to one of the latest?  Is there an updated ubuntu binary I can install if I just want a simple and stable "apt install crossbar"?  I'm seeing other posts about many changes between the 0.13 and more recent v17+ ... so do you recommend 0.13 because it's stable or do I need to upgrade because anything I build on 0.13 is already obsolete and deprecated and perhaps even documentation being no longer relevant?

-- Dante

Steve Waterbury

Jun 27, 2017, 3:06:48 AM6/27/17
to cross...@googlegroups.com
Not sure what others would recommend but I've had good success
on Ubuntu using a portable pypy distribution for linux:

https://github.com/squeaky-pl/portable-pypy#portable-pypy-distribution-for-linux

... and doing 'pip install crossbar'. That keeps crossbar
nicely isolated from anything else on your system. ;)

Steve
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/crossbario/c444b0f4-e244-4cb2-a265-6d87b40d171f%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/crossbario/c444b0f4-e244-4cb2-a265-6d87b40d171f%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Alexander Gödde

Jun 27, 2017, 6:15:24 AM6/27/17
to Crossbar
Hi Dante!

Unfortunately you found a no longer linked (but obviously still served) page here. We no longer provide updates to the binary packages.

For the current instructions for installing on generic Linux, see http://crossbar.io/docs/Installation-on-Linux/

However, the recommended way is to use a Docker image we provide. This eliminates all interference with your system. Docker images are part of the release process, so you'll always get the most current release.

Hope this helps - and I'm off to chase down why that outdate page was still served.

Regards,

Alex