Hosting multiple sites

Jens Páll Hafsteinsson

Nov 5, 2015, 1:27:36 PM11/5/15
to Crossbar
Hi

Can Crossbar.io's web server host multiple sites?

Please note that I'm not referring to multiple realms but rather multiple domain names like www.example1.com, www.example2.com etc.

I'm toying with the idea of replacing my nginx server with Crossbar.io.

Thanks,
JP

Alexander Gödde

Nov 7, 2015, 6:08:07 AM11/7/15
to Crossbar
Hi Jens,

not a definitive answer by any means: as far as I can see, Crossbar.io Web services can be on different ports, but DNS only allows routing to IPs (see e.g this serverfault question). You would need to find a way to redirect the requests to different ports.

Regards,

Alex

Jens Páll Hafsteinsson

Nov 7, 2015, 8:56:37 AM11/7/15
to Crossbar
Yeah, that's what I'm currently doing using nginx, that is, using it as a proxy that routes domain names to different backend servers.

Thanks for the answer Alexander.

JP

Tobias Oberstein

Nov 7, 2015, 10:49:24 AM11/7/15
to cross...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jens,

if you mean what's know in Web servers as "named virtual hosting", then
please see

https://github.com/crossbario/crossbar/issues/511

Cheers,
/Tobias

Am 07.11.2015 um 14:56 schrieb Jens Páll Hafsteinsson:
> Yeah, that's what I'm currently doing using nginx, that is, using it as
> a proxy that routes domain names to different backend servers.
>
> Thanks for the answer Alexander.
>
> JP
>
> On Saturday, November 7, 2015 at 11:08:07 AM UTC, Alexander Gödde wrote:
>
> Hi Jens,
>
> not a definitive answer by any means: as far as I can see,
> Crossbar.io Web services can be on different ports, but DNS only
> allows routing to IPs (see e.g this serverfault question
> <http://serverfault.com/questions/74362/how-to-use-dns-hostnames-or-other-ways-to-resolve-to-a-specific-ipport>).
> You would need to find a way to redirect the requests to different
> ports.
>
> Regards,
>
> Alex
>
> Am Donnerstag, 5. November 2015 19:27:36 UTC+1 schrieb Jens Páll
> Hafsteinsson:
>
> Hi
>
> Can Crossbar.io's web server host multiple sites?
>
> Please note that I'm not referring to multiple realms but rather
> multiple domain names like www.example1.com
> <http://www.example1.com>, www.example2.com
> <http://www.example2.com> etc.
>
> I'm toying with the idea of replacing my nginx server with
> Crossbar.io.
>
> Thanks,
> JP

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/crossbario/bf14ba13-4fc9-419b-aed0-47e5dc3f71cf%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/crossbario/bf14ba13-4fc9-419b-aed0-47e5dc3f71cf%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Jens Páll Hafsteinsson

Nov 7, 2015, 8:26:51 PM11/7/15
to Crossbar
Yes, I'm referring to named virtual hosting.

I wouldn't classify this as feature creep since I consider this feature a must have in any serious HTTP server if it is to be usable in any sizable production environment. In such an environment you rarely manage only one domain and I really hate having to proxy things through nginx or something similar - it complicates the setup and adds overhead (albeit small in the case of nginx). Running multiple Crossbar servers is also wasteful of resources given that the same can be done using only one server.

On the other hand it can be advantageous to have multiple servers at the backend to partition the services you offer, since having them all on one server means all go down if one fails (or needs to be taken down because of maintenance). Your customers/users wont like that. In this case I would prefer having the same technical architecture all the way through, meaning I have a Crossbar front end server that can handle all of my domains and separate Crossbar servers connected to the front end server providing the needed services. If virtual hosting will be implemented then it might be better to wait until routing between multiple Crossbar servers has been implemented.

Still, as you mentioned Tobias, if this is as easy to implement using Twisted as you say, then it gets my vote to put this among the next things to do on the roadmap.

Thanks,
JP