Deformable wall material

Alice Saffioti

Jul 16, 2021, 11:09:53 AM7/16/21
to CRIMSON Users
Dear developers,

I have some problems while imposing deformable wall material.
Importing my own STL file I am not able to define different regions with different thickness or different Young's modulus. Is there any way to do it?
Thanks  in advance,
Alice

Christopher Tossas

Jul 16, 2021, 11:36:36 AM7/16/21
to Alice Saffioti, CRIMSON Users
Hi Alice,

Thank you for reaching out. If you import an STL, you can only define thickness and stiffness values on overall surfaces. In theory, you could split up the STL into different regions before importing and assign different properties on different surfaces.

However, this would not allow you to create a smooth transition of material property values (please see attached images for an examples of spatially varying stiffness and thickness) that depend on the position along the arc (info.getArcLength()) or local radius (info.getLocalRadius()). These features would only be available if you build your anatomical model using CRIMSON's GUI and are detailed in Lecture12 of our documentation.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if this is clear and if you have any additional questions.

Thank you,
Chris Tossas

Christopher Tossas | CVB Lab
PhD Candidate in Biomedical Engineering
University of Michigan | LinkedIn Profile
varying-thickness-example.PNG
varying-stiffness-example.PNG

Alice Saffioti

Jul 16, 2021, 12:22:26 PM7/16/21
to CRIMSON Users
Thank you so much!
Having a sharp transition it's not a problem, I need to simulate a graft so I have precise positions in which to impose values. But how can I split my STL into different regions? I've tried to open a VTP file where I define the graft region with a different FaceID but when in Crimson the graft is not recognized.
I've also tried to open two different STL files, one with the graft and one with the remaining part of the aorta, but then I have no idea how to blend them together.

graft.png

Francesco Bardi

Mar 3, 2022, 4:15:17 AM3/3/22
to CRIMSON Users
Hello Alice,

Could you find a solution for this problem?

Thank you,
Francesco

Alice Saffioti

Mar 10, 2022, 8:37:27 AM3/10/22
to CRIMSON Users
Actually, yes. I separated the two geometries saving them as different STL files, then merged them and save the new model as an OBJ file (I used Meshmixer's combine tool, but I think it can be done in other platforms too).
Hope it can help!
Alice

Francesco Bardi

Mar 14, 2022, 6:30:29 AM3/14/22