Re-read inputuri file in ODR-DabMux?

Ulrik Brinck

May 10, 2020, 8:31:21 PM5/10/20
to crc-mm...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,
When I use a file as input to a subchannel, I wonder - if I replace the file with a new one with the same name, is there any way that I can tell ODR-DabMux to re-read it ?

I have this:

sub-epg {
type packet
bitrate 32
protection-profile EEP_A
protection 3
inputuri "/home/user/odr-radioepg-bridge-master/output.dat"
inputproto file
}

In this case, the file output.dat contains an EPG (but it could be anything). If I update the EPG by replacing output.dat with a new one, it seems that I have to restart ODR-DabMux, to make it pick the new file up. This might be expected behavior, but is there any way that I can tell ODR-DabMux to re-read the file - ideally automatically when EOF is reached, but alternatively with a remote control command or some other way?

Best regards,
Ulrik.

Matthias Brändli

May 11, 2020, 2:28:57 AM5/11/20
to crc-mm...@googlegroups.com
Hello Ulrik,

There might be a difference between replacing the file (i.e. delete +
create with same name) and truncating and writing to the existing file.
But in any case, you risk that ODR-DabMux does a partial read of old and
new data and transmits invalid data.

A better way would be to use a fifo and a nonblocking input, and have
the EPG tool output data in regular intervals. Not to fast otherwise the
input gets overwhelmed.

I see you are playing with the radioepg-bridge, it would be awesome if
you could do a wiki page with explanations on how to it set up, if you
manage to get it working!

mpb

arturo tirabassi

Jul 6, 2020, 9:11:45 AM7/6/20
to mmbtools
Hi Ulrick
Looks, you are familiar with EPG. At the moment i have compile with success a .dat file with the tools provide from MagicBadger and Nick Piggott, I have open a data channel on the Odr-DABMUX but unfortunatelly happen nothing on the receiver side (im using DAB SCOUT)
I noted that bit rate selected on that channel can be very critical for the transmission. Can I ask if you had success for transmit and receive the EPG?
Thanks in advance
Arturo

Ulrik Brinck

Jul 6, 2020, 8:14:43 PM7/6/20
to mmbtools
Hi Arturo,
Yes, in the end we had success, but not until I got a different (older) version of python-dabmsc and a modified version of generate-epg from Nick Piggott (thank you Nick for a lot of help with this!). I'm not sure if they will always be necessary, but for us they were. Today I have written Nick and Ben to ask them if they want to publish those versions.

As for the bitrate, it should match the packet size (-p argument for generate-epg). The default value of the packet size in generate-epg is 96 - this will work with 32 kbit/s, and that's what we're using here. So you can begin with that bitrate, and when that works, you can try with other bit rates if you wish. Packet size 72 might work for bitrate 24 kbit/s, packet size 48 might work for bitrate 16 kbit/s and packet size 24 might work for bitrate 8 kbit/s, but I haven't tested them all myself.

Also make sure that the packet address used in your mux.conf is the same as you use when generating your EPG - the default value is 1 in generate-epg. If it's not the same, you will (most likely) not receive your EPG.

P.S. I also had to make some modifications to python-hybridspi to fix some problems with time zone and some radio shows being listed on the wrong date in the EPG - but let's wait and see if you have such problems, when your EPG itself is working and can be displayed on your receiver.

Best regards,
Ulrik.

Ulrik Brinck

Jul 8, 2020, 12:01:52 AM7/8/20
to mmbtools
Hi again Arturo,
Nick Piggott has now published the new/old versions of python-msc and generate-epg. I have tested them against two receivers here (DAB-Scout.3 and Pure Evoke-3), and they work fine here. Thank you again, Nick! :)

Python-msc:

Odr-radioepg-bridge (the generate-epg) :

Arturo, please try with these two versions instead of those you have, and see if it helps.

Nick has also made a new minimal example configuration file, containing those parts of mux.conf which are used by generate-epg. You might not need this, because you have already been able to compile a .dat file, but here it is:

@Matthias Brändli: As you suggested, I will begin writing a wiki page of how to set this up, now that everything necessary is publicly available.

Matthias Brändli

Jul 8, 2020, 5:14:45 AM7/8/20
to crc-mm...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

Thanks for your efforts in integrating EPG/SI.

Let me know once the wiki page is ready, I'll try it out and will also
mention this in the guide.

mpb