DAB SPI (EPG) - RadioDNS Bridge - Update

Nick Piggott

Jul 7, 2020, 3:43:38 PM7/7/20
to mmbtools
Hello,

With huge thanks to Ulrik and others, we've been able to put some effort in finding and fixing some issues with the DAB SPI (EPG) - RadioDNS bridge.

First up, we have found a bug in the python-dabmsc package.

Don't use the Global version of python-dabmsc, use this version which is working (in as far as test tools will decode SPI from it):

Until Ben's able to confirm my pull request, this version of the bridge includes the correct SID and SCIds header parameters:

I've updated the radiodns-bridge package with an example of a minimal example configuration file (if you're not using ODR-DabMux) - otherwise just point the generate-epg command at your ODR-DabMux configuration file and it should work it out from there.

Ulrik has pointed out that you may need to fiddle with python-hybridspi to get time zone information correct for PI files.

So if put that all together and run

/odr-radioepg-bridge/generate-epg -o ~/spi_data.dat -X -p 24 -d 3 ~/mux.conf

It *should* create a data file with 24 byte packets in it, using the config file mux.conf to work out which services to include, and trying to pull 3 days worth of PI from each service.

Of course, each service you want to include in the SPI must be registered with RadioDNS so the SI/PI information can be located for each service.

Don't forget to match your -p value (packet size) to the bitrate you're using on-air (24bytes is 8kbit/s, 48bytes is 16kbit/s etc), and the packet address to that configured in the multiplex configuration (usually 1).

The dependencies on what to install are in the README.md files of odr-radioepg-bridge and odr-radiodns-bridge. Some of them can be installed using pip, some of them you will need to install locally. You can do that by pulling each package from Github, unpacking it locally, and then running

sudo python setup.py install

within that package folder.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on,

Nick

arturo tirabassi

Jul 8, 2020, 9:09:31 AM7/8/20
to mmbtools
Ciao Nick
Really thanks for the upgrade, works well and i can send EPG correctly. Some doubt about the images, are presents on SI file but are not show on the receiver
Im investigating
Arturo

Nick Piggott

Jul 8, 2020, 9:21:11 AM7/8/20
to mmbtools
Hi Arturo

Which receiver are you using to check with?

Nick

Nick

arturo tirabassi

Jul 9, 2020, 2:44:12 AM7/9/20
to mmbtools
Ciao Nick. I had success to receive EPG and images. I have tested several Software and looks that maybe just 2 of them works correctly (DAB SCOUT and RF MONDIAL), actually im searching also a car radio receiver that can include this features (my next step is include Journaline) but up to know i have find nothing on the market.
Anyway really thanks again for your support
Ciao
Arturo
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to crc-mm...@googlegroups.com.

--
Nick

Ulrik Brinck

Jul 9, 2020, 9:10:23 AM7/9/20
to mmbtools
Thank you Nick for thanking me ;-) although you and Ben have done a greater job with this. For some reason, the first post in this thread was not emailed to me from the mailing list, so I didn't see it until it was replied to.

@Arturo, also be aware that, according to specs, logo slides for DAB EPG must be in PNG. While JPG is allowed for hybrid radio itself, they can't be used through odr-RadioEPG-bridge AFAIK.

Btw, I don't think that DAB-Scout.3 can show logo slides within EPG? I haven't seen any logo slides with this software, neither with our own EPG nor with EPG from other mux's such as BBC or DR Deutschland. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Best regards,
Ulrik.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/crc-mmbtools/254b1f36-3423-48ff-8f96-9a2355c57983o%40googlegroups.com.

Nick Piggott

Jul 11, 2020, 4:12:01 PM7/11/20
to mmbtools
Hello

Image types - you're correct that the EPG bridge will ignore any files that are not PNG. The file sizes 32 x 32, 112 x 32, 128 x 128 and 320 x 240px should always be PNG images. Larger sizes can be PNG or JPEG, but aren't included in the DAB SPI.

Apparently Qt-DAB (https://github.com/JvanKatwijk/qt-dab) does decode SPI information, so that might be a good reference to use.

Nick