Coastal flying options

Ken Cote

Jul 12, 2021, 10:19:35 AM7/12/21
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Hi all, Ken here from San Diego. I'm a P3 with 230 ish hours, nearing the end of a NW hiking and flying trip, and currently staying in Manzanita. Wondering if anybody's flying any of the north coastal sites today that I could tag on with? The forecast looks too north to my uneducated eye, according to your site guide. Some models suggest Sollie Smith might be just west enough, but I don't know how much to trust that. I haven't paid to join the club yet, but would be happy to if there's a decent chance to fly today.
Thanks!
Ken

Luke

Jul 13, 2021, 10:09:36 AM7/13/21
to ken...@gmail.com, cp...@googlegroups.com

Sorry if this reply is a little late.  During the summer, Sollie and Kiwanda are the main sites on the coast that can work with some frequency during the summer.  Sollie is more of an thermal site and Kiwanda is a dune soaring site that is also used for kiting quite a bit.  Kiwanda is often blown out by afternoon for regular wings (many people bring mini-wings for the afternoon).  Sollie can work in in NNW winds as they often funnel into the Wilson river “valley”.  Really light NE can also work as it leads to some nice (usually not too spicy) lee side thermals to work.  I hope you can find someone to fly with this week if you are still in the area.

Luke Danielson