Local potential for potential alignment in charged systems

Udit

Feb 6, 2020, 1:00:32 PM2/6/20
to cp2k
Hello world,

As part of my research, I'm performing simulation of charged dopants in Silicon for calculation of the charge transition levels. One crucial step in the formation energy estimation is the determination of an alignment constant which is determined by comparing the local potential profiles of the defective and pristine supercells. https://journals.aps.org/prl/pdf/10.1103/PhysRevLett.102.016402 (Fig. 2)

My question is, for the local potential profiles is V_HARTREE_CUBE sufficient? A lot of python codes designed for such calculations do so by evaluating the LOCPOT obtained from VASP calculations. Is V_HARTREE_CUBE similar to the LOCPOT inVASP?

Also, a lot of these publications during alignment show smoothly varying local potential profiles. However, I find that the Hartree potential profile of the defective supercell varies a lot from that of the pristine supercell and contains a lot of oscilattions mainly around the defect due to the relaxation of atomic positions, which would potentially make the alignment procedure impractical. Any comments or experiences with Charge Transition Level calculations on condensed matter systems would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
Message has been deleted

Matt W

Feb 6, 2020, 3:11:29 PM2/6/20
to cp2k
<self promotion>
Relation between image charge and potential alignment corrections for charged defects in periodic boundary conditions
TR Durrant, ST Murphy, MB Watkins, AL Shluger
The Journal of chemical physics 149 (2), 024103 (2019)
</self promotion>

might be useful. You could contact Tom Durrant about what he has been doing. There is a load of other stuff in the literature, of course.

Matt

On Thursday, February 6, 2020 at 6:17:54 PM UTC, Travis wrote:
Hi,

To your last question - the authors report the plane-averaged potential (refer to the caption of Fig 2 in your linked paper), not the actual potential. The actual potential should be noisy as you described.

-T

ub

Feb 7, 2020, 3:34:39 AM2/7/20
to cp2k
Hi Travis,

Indeed, I looked at the difference in the Hartree potentials of the defect (As +1 charged) and bulk Si 3x3x3 supercells and the result contained a lot of oscillations. I've attached an image.

Regards,
ub

On Thursday, 6 February 2020 19:17:54 UTC+1, Travis wrote:
Hi,

To your last question - the authors report the plane-averaged potential (refer to the caption of Fig 2 in your linked paper), not the actual potential. The actual potential should be noisy as you described.

-T

On Thursday, February 6, 2020 at 2:00:32 PM UTC-4, Udit wrote:
Potential alignment As+1.png

ub

Feb 7, 2020, 3:35:46 AM2/7/20
to cp2k
Thanks for the article Matt. I'll go through it to see any similarities to the issues faced.

Regards,
ub

ma455...@gmail.com

May 24, 2021, 7:22:35 PM5/24/21
to cp2k
Hi ub,

I'm wondering have you figured out the method to solve the potential alignment correction?

Regards,
Hongyang

Nicholas Winner

May 24, 2021, 8:29:33 PM5/24/21
to cp2k
For potential alignment corrections, one should use the electrostatic potential in the V_HARTREE cube file.

Many potential alignment correction schemes exist, but I am partial to the one by Freysoldt (https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.102.016402) and its extension to anisotropic systems by Kumagi (https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.89.195205), which are the two I use for charged defect calculations.

Is this what you need to know, Hongyang?

-Nick

ma455...@gmail.com

May 24, 2021, 8:36:15 PM5/24/21
to cp2k
Hi Nick,

Yes, this is very helpful. But another issue is that V_HARTREE_CUBE is only valid for QS with GPW which is mentioned in the manual... I'm wondering is there any approach to print the elctrostatic potential for ALL_ELECTRON basis sets with GAPW?

Regards,
Hongyang

Nicholas Winner

May 24, 2021, 9:32:57 PM5/24/21
to cp...@googlegroups.com
A developer might be able to comment more thoroughly, but I believe you have to post-process the electron density in order to do this. It is very rare to do defect calculations with all-electron calculations, so unless you have a good reason, consider switching back to GPW.

Matt W

May 25, 2021, 4:46:48 AM5/25/21
to cp2k
Would depend what you need to apply your chosen scheme.
Pretty much by definition you can't get the potential accurately on a regular grid near all-electron cores.

ma455...@gmail.com

May 25, 2021, 5:15:58 AM5/25/21
to cp2k
Hi Nick and Matt,

Got it! Thanks for the information!

Regards,
Hongyang

ma455...@gmail.com

Sep 28, 2021, 8:02:18 PM9/28/21
to cp2k
Hi Nick,

Sorry for troubling you again. I'm currently using Freysoldt's code to perform the potential alignment correction. If I understand it correctly, we should use "sxdefectalign -q 3 --eps 12.9 --vdef v_elec_defect.cube --vref v_elec_pristine.cube --ecut 30 --qe" to perform the calculation. However, the eps parameter (dielectric constant) is needed. I'm just wondering how could we calculate the dielectric constant from DFT in cp2k?

Regards,
Hongyang

在2021年5月25日星期二 UTC+10 上午10:29:33<nwi...@berkeley.edu> 写道: