Distinguish of the d and f orbitals in the pdos calculation

jade panda

May 24, 2021, 11:42:53 AM5/24/21
to cp2k
Dear CP2K users,

I am just learning CP2K and try to calculate the PDOS of CrI3 using CP2K.8.1. In the second line of outfile (*.pdos), the 3d orbitals are divided into five (d-2, d-1, d0, d+1 and d+2), which is same to official website (https://www.cp2k.org/exercises:2018_uzh_cmest:pdos). I don't know which one of them is dxy, dxz, dyz, dx2-y2 or dz2? The same question is for f orbits.

I attach the the first few lines of *.pdos file here. Thanks for any suggestions!

pdos.png

Krack Matthias (PSI)

May 24, 2021, 1:01:35 PM5/24/21
to cp...@googlegroups.com

Hi

You may find the information about the assignment of orbital labels in textbooks or check Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_orbital#Orbitals_table

M.

jade panda

May 25, 2021, 6:31:56 AM5/25/21
to cp2k
Hi matthias,

Thanks for your suggestion. I can find that the dz2 orbital is the same as the d0 orbital, but the dxz and dyz are formed by taking linear combinations of the d+1 and d−1 orbitals. It's similar for dx2-y2 and dxy. So I can't get the respective contribution of eg and t2g orbitals to the DOS. Can you give some suggestions on this problem, thanks.

Regards,
Jade

Krack Matthias (PSI)

May 25, 2021, 10:23:10 AM5/25/21
to cp...@googlegroups.com

CP2K deals with real and not complex orbitals. You can try the assignment t(2g): d(-1), d(+1), d(-2); e(g): d(0), d(+2).

M.

jade panda

May 25, 2021, 1:03:40 PM5/25/21
to cp2k